FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Mpott302
My mom got my son a flytrap in a small glass jar that was kept alive by some sort of gel. The gel recently turned to liquid and it was outgrowing the jar so I decided to get it out of there and try to plant it. Not sure how many separate plants are there, I can’t get any of them apart and the roots are kind of in the middle of the whole blob. I managed to get a couple roots loose so I had something to get down into the soil. I guess now only time will tell if anything’s gonna survive

By Fieldofscreams
It's basically a tissue culture in a jar.

The hard part is them acclimating to lower humidity, inside the jar it was 100% and now it's probably around 50% at best inside a home.
By DTDream18
I bought the exact same item from a company called Bloomify about 6 months ago. Mine quickly filled up the tiny bottle. I separated and planted the tiny divisions and they took off like crazy. I think I got 14 plants from separating the tiny divisions.

The company claims that mine are B52's which I was a little bit skeptical at first. But the plants have increased in size so rapidly that I now believe these are the real deal B52's.

Here are some photos of my mini B52's in their pot. And a Bloomify DCXL in a much larger bottle which I just received. A nice way to build up your VFT collection without spending a fortune.
Attachments:
IMG_7081.JPG
IMG_7081.JPG (71.89 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
IMG_7080.JPG
IMG_7080.JPG (67.89 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
IMG_7079.JPG
IMG_7079.JPG (75.67 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
IMG_7078.JPG
IMG_7078.JPG (71.57 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
IMG_6005.JPG
IMG_6005.JPG (94.57 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
By Fieldofscreams
Only downside is it will take years before they are mature plants.
By DTDream18
It may not take as long as we think ? When I took mine out of the original bottle they looked exactly like Mpott302's plant. I separated it into a 14 tiny plants by floating it in a bowl of water and gently separating the roots. Now the 14 tiny plants are beginning to fill the whole pot. This was less than 6 months ago. By this time next year I think they'll really take off.
By Fieldofscreams
When they flower for the first time that's when you know they have matured.

That's not always true because there have been times that seedlings flower their first year. But it's still an ok indicator.
By Mpott302
Glad to know there’s a chance for these things! One thing I didn’t do was acclimate them to lower humidity. Its outside on my porch and it’s pretty humid where I live but I’m still gonna put something over it when I get off work to try to capture some moisture. Maybe I’ll spend more time trying to separate them too
By Adelae
Mpott302 wrote:Glad to know there’s a chance for these things! One thing I didn’t do was acclimate them to lower humidity. Its outside on my porch and it’s pretty humid where I live but I’m still gonna put something over it when I get off work to try to capture some moisture. Maybe I’ll spend more time trying to separate them too
If you do this, keep them out of direct sun while they still have the cover on (it can get hot enough to kill them if they're in a tiny enclosed space)
By DTDream18
You shouldn't have to cover it at all. Mine went right from the bottle to the flower pot and adjusted easily to the no humidity environment. As a matter of fact I had mine out in the garden getting 12+ hours of direct sunlight every day. Now I put them under my LED grow lights.

I do mist mine several times a day in the morning when I wake up and at night before bed. I think yours will eventually grow and divide quite nicely.

I would suggest trying to separate your bunch into individual plants. You might be surprised how many divisions are growing in the clump. Try floating them in a bowl of distilled water and gently ( but not too gently ) separating them.

I would love to see how other forum members do with these plants.

When you bought them did they say that they were B52's by any chance ?
By Mpott302
DTDream18 wrote:You shouldn't have to cover it at all. Mine went right from the bottle to the flower pot and adjusted easily to the no humidity environment. As a matter of fact I had mine out in the garden getting 12+ hours of direct sunlight every day. Now I put them under my LED grow lights.

I do mist mine several times a day in the morning when I wake up and at night before bed. I think yours will eventually grow and divide quite nicely.

I would suggest trying to separate your bunch into individual plants. You might be surprised how many divisions are growing in the clump. Try floating them in a bowl of distilled water and gently ( but not too gently ) separating them.

I would love to see how other forum members do with these plants.

When you bought them did they say that they were B52's by any chance ?
I have no idea. They were a gift for my son
By DTDream18
Here's the latest pics of my B52 Flytraps in a jar. These guys have really taken off. Nice coloration too. Hundreds of small traps.
Attachments:
IMG_2719.JPG
IMG_2719.JPG (95.68 KiB) Viewed 7866 times
IMG_2717.JPG
IMG_2717.JPG (61.89 KiB) Viewed 7866 times
DTDream18 liked this

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!