FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By keletkezes
Hi everyone,

I got a S. Hybride (sigh...) as a gift in 2007 along with a Pinguicula Weser. I repotted them in a potting tray (wide and low) in ericaceous soil (yet another garden centre faux pas) with an unfortunate VFT (RIP) in 2008. The Sarr and Ping lived in this potting tray for years, and some weird plant invaded and has since died, there's some grass growing in there. and the Ping got eaten by slugs one very wet winter a few years ago. I've now bought a new P. Weser, which I'll deal with elsewhere. The Sarr has survived many years of neglect outside, and has even put up a couple of flower spikes this year! But now it's time to repot it I think, especially as the grass is getting out of hand.

I've got some VFTs I've had a lot of luck with, mostly thanks to the advice on here, and I thought I'd come here again for Sarr help. The potting tray has no drainage holes: should I reconsider this? And do Sarrs need a lot of room for roots, so is the wide, shallow approach not so good? The tray is probably half full of plants now. What sort of medium is best? I've got some dehydrated moss cubes left over from repotting my VFTs, but they might suit the Ping better. I've also just acquired two (beginner's) Nepenthes, so if something will suit them both, that would be useful. Is repotting the Sarr now a good idea or should I leave it until Spring?

I live in Nottingham, which is central England, UK and keep my VFTs and Sarrs outside all year round except when it gets REALLY cold, and I have very good access to rainwater. My carnivorous plants are kept in as close to full sun as I can, which means they get bright full sunlight from about 10am until 12-1pm, when the house shadow comes round. My VFTs are thriving really well and they're the same sort of garden centre reject/pity cases as my new Ping and Nepenthes :)
By xanthoparmelia
Folks have success with both undrained and drained systems. So long as you can monitor and control moisture levels as needed, you can make it work. Note that Sarracenia require moist conditions, but some can tolerate or even prefer wetter substrate (e.g. psittacina), whereas others may be more prone to rot if too wet (e.g. leucophylla).

Sarracenia roots grow deeper rather than shallow and wide. Taller containers are preferable to optimize growth.

For media, any standard CP mix is fine. This can be 100% peat, or a combination of peat and either perlite or sand. The typical ratio is 50% peat, 50% perlite/sand. Long fiber sphagnum moss also works as a substrate.
xanthoparmelia liked this
Perlite from Ebay

The website, http://www.perlagro.co.uk/product/per[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!