FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By bojo96
Hello everyone, I just made this account becouse I could use some help.

So a few weeks ago other members from the family bought 2 kinds of carnivorous plants; the venus fly trap and a nepenthes (?)

They were told that they only had to give it some water and that's it. They lost attention for it and they look really bad at the moment. I think there was too much sun and few water was given. The Venus plant doesn't seem to have the strenght to stand up, it's basically laying on the surface.

I decided to catch a fly and feed it, problem is that one of the plants didn't respond to it, it didn't close. I chose another plant and that one did close so I know it's still alive.

I gave it some water for moisture but just found out tap water is bad... I'll get distilled water if I'm sure they'll make it.

So the question is, is there hope for these plants? Can it be revived?

Hope I'll get some good advice as I know literally nothing about plants but I do want them to live as long as possible!
Last edited by bojo96 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Cross
Can you post us some pictures? We can really make a plan then.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Artchic528
Just FYI, as long as part of the rhizome (the part of the plant that is below the leaves and above the actual roots) is still white and hard it means that your plant can still come back as it's still alive.
By bojo96
@Artchic528, I don't understand that to be honest...I know nothing about about plants... Perhaps the pictures can help?

I fed the fly to the plant on the left FYI

By Artchic528
They still look alive, albeit with what looks like either mineral burn or sunburn. What kind of water do you use to water them?

Also, your pitcher plant is a Sarracinia, not a Nepenthes. An S. purperea I think. That's just the scientific name for a purple pitcher plant btw. It could also be an S. roja, or red pitcher plant, but it's definitely a Sarracinia of some sort. Maybe someone more versed in griwing Sarracinia than I can give you a more difinitve answer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By tommyr
Also these are not houseplants. They need to be acclimated to full Sun outdoors. And they need a 3 month dormancy period in the winter. Sit them both in shallow trays of distilled water or rainwater or reverse osmosis water.
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!