Growing Nepenthes on a totem pole plant support?

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here
blueovalgal

Growing Nepenthes on a totem pole plant support?

by blueovalgal » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Hi,

I am a Nepenthes newbie grower and have been able to keep my three "adult" plants and seven "baby" plants alive for the past couple of months. Yay, to me! One of my larger "adult" plants is in a hanging basket, but since it's heavy with pitchers, the basket and the plants are starting to grow crooked. I was thinking of repotting it and adding a totem pole plant support into the pot.

Has anyone tried this? Should I just leave it alone and allow it to grow downwards? Hope that all made sense.

Thanks!

Fieldofscreams

Re: Growing Nepenthes on a totem pole plant support?

by Fieldofscreams » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 am

You can do whatever you want really.

In the summer I let it all hang out and when I bring them in for the winter I stick plant stakes into the pots and tie them up since space is limited in the house.

The rumor is that if you let them hang over the side it promotes basil growth. But since I have a ventrata it will basil regardless of what I do lol
Mistakes were made

The following users would like to thank Fieldofscreams for this post
blueovalgal

blueovalgal

Re: Growing Nepenthes on a totem pole plant support?

by blueovalgal » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:20 pm

Fieldofscreams wrote:You can do whatever you want really.

In the summer I let it all hang out and when I bring them in for the winter I stick plant stakes into the pots and tie them up since space is limited in the house.

The rumor is that if you let them hang over the side it promotes basil growth. But since I have a ventrata it will basil regardless of what I do lol

I think the rumor is true! The plant pot I'm thinking of doing this to is currently hanging over and down its pot, and I noticed there was a basal baby plant.

Thank you for the response! I think I will look for stake and let it hang loose, too. :)

(Edit to add photos of said plant.)
Attachments
IMG_6189.jpg
IMG_6189.jpg (284.6 KiB) Viewed 33 times
IMG_6191.jpg
IMG_6191.jpg (450.51 KiB) Viewed 33 times
IMG_6190.jpg
IMG_6190.jpg (549.25 KiB) Viewed 33 times

Return to Tropical Pitcher Plants