FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By s04wirdniemeister
Hi. First post here. Been working on putting this mini bog together in 10a for a weeks now and just got all the plants in there yesterday. The only plants that were acclimated to full sun are the VFTs and the cape sundew (to a lesser degree). Checked it out this morning and all of the pings look pretty bad, while the sundews don't look great. I tried to create a mini bog full of plants that thrive in full sun, but clearly I didn't fully succeed. I've just now read that ping primuliflora doesn't like full sun. Is that accurate? Could explain why my three look cooked... Two of them were thrown in for free, so I'll chalk it up as a $3.50 learning experience if these are toast. No biggie. I also have a ping planifolia, which I've read likes full sun. That one doesn't look as bad as the primuliflora's, but still not looking good. Transplant shock or is it damaged? Now I was confident that my sundews (1x capensis, 2x capillaris giant) would be okay in full sun, but they aren't looking very good either. I know they don't like being transplanted and are particularly likely to go into shock, so I'm hoping that's what it is and that they bounce back. Anyone have thoughts on the sundews?

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Because I know it will be asked - bottom 90% of media is 50% rinsed peat and 50% silica sand. top 10% of media is roughly 35% rinsed peat, 35% soaked LFS, 30% silica sand. All rinsing and soaking was done with rainwater and distilled water. All water in the mini bog is either rainwater or distilled water. Full sun in 10a.

Primulifloras:

Planifolia:

Capensis:

Capillaris Giants:

Mini bog:
By Bob Beer
Okay — P. primuliflora likes dappled light. It usually grows among tall grasses so it doesn’t like to bake in full sun, not even here in Seattle. It also likes to be really wet, like sopping wet! I’ve heard the same about planifolia re the wetness but haven’t grown it so I can’t speak from personal experience there. Most sundews don’t like to be quite so wet. This is why I’m not always a fan of mixed plantings unless you account for different “sweet spots” concerning their water requirements.

The plants do look like they’ve been sunburned. Where did they come from and had they been growing in full sun outdoors before you planted them? A flytrap likes full sun for example, but if it’s been indoors and you put it straight out into hot sun it will fry (and later grow new leaves).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By s04wirdniemeister
Bob Beer wrote:Okay — P. primuliflora likes dappled light. It usually grows among tall grasses so it doesn’t like to bake in full sun, not even here in Seattle. It also likes to be really wet, like sopping wet! I’ve heard the same about planifolia re the wetness but haven’t grown it so I can’t speak from personal experience there. Most sundews don’t like to be quite so wet. This is why I’m not always a fan of mixed plantings unless you account for different “sweet spots” concerning their water requirements.

The plants do look like they’ve been sunburned. Where did they come from and had they been growing in full sun outdoors before you planted them? A flytrap likes full sun for example, but if it’s been indoors and you put it straight out into hot sun it will fry (and later grow new leaves).

Thanks for your reply! I assumed that the primulifloras were beyond saving based on their appearance. That's a lesson learned and I suppose they'll just turn into organic matter in the bog. I'm more optimistic about the planifolia. I know that it likes to be very wet. I'm thinking I could move it to where the largest primuliflora is. My last picture doesn't do a good job of indicating it, but there is a slope in the bog. The sarracenia, planifolia, and larger primuliflora are at the lowest point. The sundews are relatively high in comparison, so they won't be quite as wet.

The flytraps had been grown indoors and I was advised to acclimate them to sun. The others, I'm not sure. I was excited to put them in the bog and got overeager and wasn't very sensible. I'm going to put them in partial shade for a few days and hope that eases the stress a bit. I know it won't reverse the damage, but hopefully I can prevent further damage.
By nimbulan
I'd agree it looks like the plants experienced light burn due to not being used to growing outdoors, and needed some time to adapt.

I will also add that I used to agree with Bob about P. primuliflora regarding lighting, but now grow the species in full sun just to the south here in Oregon. I used to provide shade, and had lots of trouble with light burn trying to adapt it. Now I put it out in full sun with the rest of my sensitive plants (they stay in the garage over winter) first thing in spring and it grows just fine that way all summer. My theory is that since the sun is less intense in spring, it lets the plant adapt more gradually without burning.
By Bob Beer
[I will also add that I used to agree with Bob about P. primuliflora regarding lighting, but now grow the species in full sun just to the south here in Oregon...]

Yeah I have one in full sun here too, acclimated the same way (is it summer yet? ) but I’m planning on bringing it in to grow under the lights again. It grows but doesn’t seem to be thriving. And since the person who asked the question is in zone 10a (probably a lot hotter but no idea about the humidity there) I’d be a little careful.

It might be good to say again (to all readers) here that it’s a lot easier to answer questions when you tell us where you actually live. “Zone 10a” tells us about your winter lows but not really about what conditions you’re dealing with now. A 10 in Florida or Texas and a 10a in Southern California are two very different beasts!

By s04wirdniemeister
Bob Beer wrote: It might be good to say again (to all readers) here that it’s a lot easier to answer questions when you tell us where you actually live. “Zone 10a” tells us about your winter lows but not really about what conditions you’re dealing with now. A 10 in Florida or Texas and a 10a in Southern California are two very different beasts!
I'm in South Florida, about 90 minutes north of Miami. High heat, frequent rain, very humid.
By nimbulan
Well I just talked to a friend who lives in Miami, and he said 6 hours of direct sun is fine for him with P. primuliflora, though he hasn't tried longer. I think typically high humidity helps plants withstand heat better, though some (such as perennial Byblis) are the opposite.
By s04wirdniemeister
nimbulan wrote:Well I just talked to a friend who lives in Miami, and he said 6 hours of direct sun is fine for him with P. primuliflora, though he hasn't tried longer. I think typically high humidity helps plants withstand heat better, though some (such as perennial Byblis) are the opposite.
Huh, thanks for letting me know that! That makes me almost certain that they were grown indoors. Should have acclimated them slowly, but was too excited to finish the project. :roll:

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!