FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Drummer230
I have been growing most of my plants under t8 fluorescent bulbs, but about a month ago at Walmart I found great value led general houseplant led t8 equivalents. I decided to give them a try.

The ones on the left were grown under the plant bulbs and the ones on the right were grown under the regular t8 fluorescent bulbs for the last month. Don’t pay attention to size, as the experimental plants were smaller to start with. I’m suprised at the coloration difference!
By Cross
Drummer230 wrote:I have been growing most of my plants under t8 fluorescent bulbs, but about a month ago at Walmart I found great value led general houseplant led t8 equivalents. I decided to give them a try.

The ones on the left were grown under the plant bulbs and the ones on the right were grown under the regular t8 fluorescent bulbs for the last month. Don’t pay attention to size, as the experimental plants were smaller to start with. I’m suprised at the coloration difference!
Could you find the lightbulbs and post a link?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Ping
Yep LEDs will be the norm soon enough. I've been building my light fixtures with Samsung LED strips for a few months now. A couple bucks more expensive to match the lumen output of a T5HO but the savings in electric, the temperature (this is a huge one I cut about 15F out of my growing space), and the ability to build exactly what you need out weighs the cost.
Last edited by Ping on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By optique
in my town they have the amazon over stock bins everything 1$ they had the nice floodlight style LED grow lights , i would look for it, if they do that kind of thing near you. not sure if it was just a local thing great deal
https://www.foxcarolina.com/news/did-yo ... e8d68.html
By Drummer230
Cross wrote:
Drummer230 wrote:I have been growing most of my plants under t8 fluorescent bulbs, but about a month ago at Walmart I found great value led general houseplant led t8 equivalents. I decided to give them a try.

Could you find the lightbulbs and post a link?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Here you go:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value- ... /192095851

I bought the cheapest shop light fixture I could find ($17) and use those bulbs. Eventually I’ll switch all my bulbs to those!
By Ping
Copper2 wrote:Sarrs don’t color up well under leds. Other CPs do though.
I have to disagree with you there. I've been growing some seedlings under LEDs instead of your tradition T5 for some time now and they're getting great coloration. Although, much closer to the LEDs than you'd have to with a T5 but they've been doing just fine. Of course, in a year or so they'll need to be outside getting some rays for their true potential. These pictures were only taken 6 days apart.

By Copper2
I’m growing my seedlings under leds too. However I won’t be doing any culling when they’re under them. I moved a small Dana’s delight from outside to under the led. A new pitcher came up and there is a stark contrast between the old and new pitchers. I left it under for a bit too. After putting it back outside it started getting the fantastic coloring again. And I use Mars hydro
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!