FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post any care guides or tutorials here.

Moderator: Matt

By dewyray
If anyone on here grows utricularia alpina, I have questions. My plant isn't doing too great, but i think it's the heat. I'm taking precautions, though. I noticed these bulb-like growths. I did some research, and I'm assuming they're tubers?
I water the plant a good bit. It's in a hanging basket with coconut fiber lining. I've read conflicting cultivation tech for this plant (what a surprise). Whoever grows this, please share your way of doing so. My greenhouse is probably too hot for it, but I'd like to try and acclimate it, bringing it in for winter. Thanks!
IMG_20190625_190939443.jpg
IMG_20190625_190939443.jpg (70.91 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
IMG_20190625_190923670.jpg
IMG_20190625_190923670.jpg (96.56 KiB) Viewed 3915 times
Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
By Nepenthes0260
Yup, those are tubers. I keep all my alpina colonies in my HL grow space with my Heliamphora. I've noticed U. alpina likes a little more shade then typical HL CPs.

I tried keeping one of my alpina in my greenhouse, but it was too hot for epiphitic utrics, and it looked sad so I brought it back to my HL setup.
By dewyray
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Yup, those are tubers. I keep all my alpina colonies in my HL grow space with my Heliamphora. I've noticed U. alpina likes a little more shade then typical HL CPs.

I tried keeping one of my alpina in my greenhouse, but it was too hot for epiphitic utrics, and it looked sad so I brought it back to my HL setup.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to try shading it on the afternoon sun side, and see if that helps. Being that they can take shade well, I may even block more than just afternoon sun. If I don't see much improvement, I may end up hanging it by the kitchen window.

By Huntsmanshorn
I tried mine outside last year and that didn't go very well so I brought it back inside and put it under lights in the basement and it still didn't do very well so I bagged it and now its growing like a weed. Finally some progress.
By dewyray
Shoot, I may just bring it inside now; two people have said outdoors didn't go well for theirs. Any tips on repotting would be much appreciated, in case I have to do so.

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!