FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By FlyTrap Hunter
Is this a fungus or disease? It starts as spots but soon burns a hole in the leaf
Spots
Spots
Effect_20190616_221005.jpg (356.97 KiB) Viewed 3063 times
By Fieldofscreams
I had the EXACT same problem last year.

I have no idea what it is.

I googled it and found a thread on cpuk or maybe it was terraforums that maybe talked about it but I couldn't tell for sure because the pics were all gone. So I don't know if they were talking about the same thing we have.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Fieldofscreams wrote:I had the EXACT same problem last year.

I have no idea what it is.

I googled it and found a thread on cpuk or maybe it was terraforums that maybe talked about it but I couldn't tell for sure because the pics were all gone. So I don't know if they were talking about the same thing we have.
I need to find out what it is because it seems to be killing some leaves, maybe plants.
It's seems to be on a bush close by.
Spotty
Spotty
Effect_20190616_221917.jpg (276.21 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
Bush
Bush
KIMG4023.JPG (964.9 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
By Fieldofscreams
Mine became pretty severe but it never ended up killing them.

So far this year it hasn't come back.

Interestingly it doesn't have any affect on flytraps.
By Cross
Fieldofscreams wrote:Mine became pretty severe but it never ended up killing them.

So far this year it hasn't come back.

Interestingly it doesn't have any affect on flytraps.
Are you sure it's not some sort of insect poop? Not to be weird. It happens to some of the plants up here. They get spots and deteriorate in that area.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Fieldofscreams
I have no idea, could be from anything.

Looks terrible, especially when the plants end up completely covered with the spots.

The plus side is flytraps seem to be immune to it, the pitchers don't die off from it and the plant just chugs along like nothing is wrong it. Just looks hideous.
By omnipercp15
when did you put out those pitcher plants?

at first, it looks like possible sun burn if you didn't acclimate the plant to the outside.

the red spots on the photinia can be handled, and it might very well have been the cause for the pitcher plants also, if it's not sun-related.
omnipercp15 liked this
By FlyTrap Hunter
Fieldofscreams wrote:Definitely not sun related.

It's a disease, fungus or pest for sure
The spots seemed to get better because I got rid of some of the water in the pots and got them in just a little more sunlight.(I was thinking originally the spots were coming from too much water.
I put them in stronger afternoon light and it's rained a few days and the spots are back. If they were not on the youngest plants, I wouldn't care. Some seem to be killing the Sarracenia seedlings.
But before I buy something I am going to keep trying to remove the cause. I need to keep them dryer. What a balancing act
By FlyTrap Hunter
Except for a few plants, the spots are localized to one area. Could be a bug that goes crazy when it's too wet... Could be a fungus that acts up when it's too wet...
And actually a dog could have peed on it.
Something is killing some seedlings.
By Fieldofscreams
I wouldn't think it's water related. I keep my Sarr's just as dry as my VFTS and if you know me that's pretty dry compared to most growers.
By FlyTrap Hunter
omnipercp15 wrote:when did you put out those pitcher plants?

at first, it looks like possible sun burn if you didn't acclimate the plant to the outside.

the red spots on the photinia can be handled, and it might very well have been the cause for the pitcher plants also, if it's not sun-related.
The Red spots came in the spring after that big bush flowered and dropped huge amounts of pollen gack all over them. And after I reduced the amount of light they get because I couldn't keep them watered in a drought.
It seems it is a fungus or possibly sun burn. But if it is sun burn, it's more related to some funky water I tossed in when I was desperate for some water. It could be the water messed them up because the spots are isolated and the ones that have died are isolated.
But aside from my error with the water, I still think there is a fungal issue. I have read that the spots are a common fungal problem and to not stress about it. It's not supposed to kill them.
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!