FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By kieran1203
Hello all,

I was wondering what others have been doing to fertilize their cephalotus, I've grown them a couple of years now and was going to try fertilizing a typical to see how it all goes.

I've read some people put a pellet of osmocote in a mature pitcher once a month or so and have good success? I have controlled osmocote that has an NPK of 16-5-17 would this be suitable? I read somewhere someone uses NPK 14-14-14 osmocote I'm not really sure what the differences would be?

Thanks
By SundewWolf
I put one osmocote (14-14-14) pellet in each adult pitcher, or drip in MaxSea solution. Your osmocote should be fine, just has lower phosphorous (which is used for root growth and flowering) but it shouldn't make too huge of a difference.

I always hate waiting for adult pitchers to finally form, because once I start fertilizing they really take off. I went from a plant that had one adult pitcher, to a ceph that was filling out a 5 inch diameter pot in about a year.
By kieran1203
SundewWolf wrote:I put one osmocote (14-14-14) pellet in each adult pitcher, or drip in MaxSea solution. Your osmocote should be fine, just has lower phosphorous (which is used for root growth and flowering) but it shouldn't make too huge of a difference.

I always hate waiting for adult pitchers to finally form, because once I start fertilizing they really take off. I went from a plant that had one adult pitcher, to a ceph that was filling out a 5 inch diameter pot in about a year.
Yeah from pictures I've seen fertilizing can make a pretty substantial difference, is it just one pellet per month you do? My friend uses 14-14-14 unfortunately I can't see it available in the UK :roll:
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!