FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By v3ltra
I've been putting the traps out for the morning around 7-8 am in the morning for the past 2 days. The farthest one in my picture is the one I'm very concerned. Apparently, it has burned a newly grown baby trap and all the leaves in just those 2 hours. Now it is completely trimmed off and right now, I have it set on my desk where it is getting sunlight for the evening. Is there a chance that it could grow leaves back? I've been researching on what fluorescent lights are and I've been considering on buying some but these guys are picky with light. However, money is pretty tight.
Attachments:
After
After
Screenshot_2019-06-15-19-12-18.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 1894 times
Before
Before
Screenshot_2019-06-15-18-52-45.png (814.4 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
By Artchic528
Moving pots around causes stress. Why not put them outside in a spot that gets a lot of full sun throughout the day and leave them there permanently?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
Plants cannot adjust to their conditions when you keep moving them around. Put it somewhere, preferably outside where it can feed and love life. If you keep moving it around it is going to eventually perish. These are slow growing plants, that means it takes time for them to adjust. It could take up to two months for them to settle in to their surroundings and start growing again. That doesn't mean it'll look healthy in two months, that means it'll start pushing new traps up. It could be 4 months before the plant actually looks good again.

If you want to be successful growing these plants then you need patience.

That said, this plant can easily be saved if given good conditions. I've saved far worse than this with no problems. I despise the advice of throw it in full sun, because that is a generalized rule that everyone thinks is perfect for everyone and every plant. It is simply NOT true.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Artchic528
Well, it's been my experience to stick light deprived plants in full sun. The old twisted and malformed traps will burn and die, but they weren't functional to begin with so it's no real loss for the plant. They begin to grow healthy new traps soon enough.

If the plant in question has pests/fungal growth etc. other methods are needed of course, but for light deprived ones, it's best to get them in full sun ASAP.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
I'm guessing the OP is new and this is probably their only CP. By throwing it out there to burn, they'll be worried it's dead when in reality it's just fried to a crisp. Which most new growers want to enjoy their plant and not worry about it. But being an only plant it's hard to enjoy it when it looks dead. We both know that just because it's not green above soil doesn't mean it's dead. We as experienced growers also have more than one plant to fuss over, so one fried one sitting to the side is no big deal to us.

I use the toss it out there technique myself, but I also try to think about what is like to be new. By giving them an excuse to "play" with their plant using slower acclimating techniques they get to help their first plant flourish and still get the satisfaction of enjoying it without it looking like a turd for 2 or 3 months.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!