FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
red wrote:so to confirm, leaf pullings often have a high success rate? how doe sthe plant photosynthesize without roots?
Photosynthesis doesn't happen in the roots, it happens in the leaves. They don't always have a good success rate, so think on it first.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Copper2
Neither would I put so much hope on TC. The ingredients for TC are cheap but everything adds up if you don’t already have it, and you need to try once or twice for experience. So seeds for TC, yes- I would do it! A leaf pulling, maybe flip a coin?
By Cross
Copper2 wrote:Neither would I put so much hope on TC. The ingredients for TC are cheap but everything adds up if you don’t already have it, and you need to try once or twice for experience. So seeds for TC, yes- I would do it! A leaf pulling, maybe flip a coin?
Ain't that the truth. I just found two jars I put aside where they had showed mold. Two inches of mild later I'm literally staring at a first. I wish I took a picture.

By red
Cross ok, ill try a leaf pulling on an expendable part of the plant, there is a defective trap, maybe I could try a leaf pulling and if it survives I will try it a few more times on new growth, or dying traps, or expendable traps, I will wait for the mutated flytrap to turn more purple/red before I do a leaf pulling on it.
By Cross
red wrote:Cross ok, ill try a leaf pulling on an expendable part of the plant, there is a defective trap, maybe I could try a leaf pulling and if it survives I will try it a few more times on new growth, or dying traps, or expendable traps, I will wait for the mutated flytrap to turn more purple/red before I do a leaf pulling on it.
Sounds like a plan. I'd try water propagation

By red
My question is, how do leaf pullings suck up water without ROOTS, isn't water an ingredient for photosynthesis?
By Copper2
Plants can absorb small amounts of water through their leaves. Also, in a high humidity environment the leaves can barely evaporate any water so they won’t die for a while

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!