FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Kjuure
I’ve had my traps for a year now. I water them every couple days to keep the medium damp and they get sun all day. I am a little concerned however as neither have any traps on their stems but the stems seem to still be alive as they are a full green colour. What I find most interesting is one managed to propagate by itself but those don’t have traps either. Am I giving them too much sun? I’ve heard terracotta pots can leech minerals into the medium, could that be a possible cause? I can give photos if needed.
By Kjuure
I forgot to mention this began a couple months ago and that I live in Australia so their dormancy period is just beginning.
By Kjuure
For whatever reason the pictures were taken upside down on my phone, so i apologize for that.

I think its obvious they aren't in very good condition but i can't figure out what I need to change.

I'm also thinking about repotting so I can clean them up and separate the new smaller flytraps.
Attachments:
IMG_0288.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG (184.58 KiB) Viewed 4487 times
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG (179.05 KiB) Viewed 4487 times
By Cross
What is in those pots? I'd ditch the terracotta. What are they planted in medium wise?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By toiletshorts
yeah agree with Cross, i'd do away with the terracotta. my vft is in a plastic pot with a tray underneath. Also, what are you watering it with? :o I'm sure the Distilled Water Or Rain Water Only spiel is a mantra among vft owners.
By boarderlib
Plastic pot. Those plants are going to keep burning until there is nothing left but a clump of dead leaves

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Kjuure
The medium is 1:1 peat moss and perlite. I water with distilled water and they are grown outside. I will probably repot them to plastic pots.
By Fieldofscreams
To me they look like they got too hot.

They don't like hot roots, I found out they really like cold/cool roots. That's why I only use white pots and NZLFSM, keeps the temps way down.

The pot your using isn't helping either.

Actually most plants like cool roots, I will never understand why planter manufacturers make black or dark colored pots.
By Kjuure
How do i go about lowering the root temps? I live in North Queensland so temperatures can get up to the high 30 degrees Celsius
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Kjuure wrote:I forgot to mention this began a couple months ago and that I live in Australia so their dormancy period is just beginning.
Wait so if the dormant period has just begun where you live then I'd say they're fine and just going dormant.
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!