FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Lily
I have what I’d like to think is a sundew not sure which type the seller did not specify I believe it is growing a flower stem of which i know nothing about. Should I cut it off like with the VFT or should I just leave it alone? Is the stem good enough for propagation? Or will it produce seeds? Do I have to do something to make it produce seeds? Please help any info on the subject will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Attachments:
I have it under a 27w grow light with 16hr of light a day
I have it under a 27w grow light with 16hr of light a day
163EC02D-7643-4027-9A64-AC1415E37A2A.jpeg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 1862 times
I also always have it with this lid on it to keep humidity high is it ok or should I remove it, it seems to like it it produces more dew this way, when I take it off the dew starts to dry
I also always have it with this lid on it to keep humidity high is it ok or should I remove it, it seems to like it it produces more dew this way, when I take it off the dew starts to dry
1DD8234E-821D-4417-966E-41EFD1D1ACD8.jpeg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 1862 times
Please zoom in to see it better
Please zoom in to see it better
2A795BBE-265C-4109-999C-87562AFFEEDB.jpeg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 1862 times
By Lily
By the way I have tried to research the subject on the internet but nothing so far
By Cross
Yeah that is a flower. It skews everything itself. Let it grow, it doesn't harm the plant.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Cross liked this
By Shadowtski
I have what I’d like to think is a sundew not sure which type the seller did not specify I believe it is growing a flower stem of which i know nothing about. Should I cut it off like with the VFT or should I just leave it alone? Is the stem good enough for propagation? Or will it produce seeds? Do I have to do something to make it produce seeds? Please help any info on the subject will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Yes, that is a Sundew you have there.

It looks like Drosera aliciae to me but it could possibly be Drosera natalensis or Drosera spatulata.
Here is a site containing numerous CP photos, helpful in ID-ing plants: https://cpphotofinder.com/Drosera.html

It is growing a flower scape which does not sap the energy from the plant as much as a VFT. Keep an eye on the plant and if it goes into a sharp decline, cut the stalk, otherwise, let it be.

This plant should self pollinate and produce seeds without any action from you.

For more information about growing Drosera, check out: http://www.growsundews.com

Matt's grow pages for FlyTraps: http://www.flytrapcare.com also applies to Sundews with the exception that your plant does not require dormancy. It will grow year-round.

Your Carnivore looks reasonably happy.
Based on the Green color, it would appreciate a somewhat higher light level.
It should have Red tentacles with fully adequate light.

Anyways, this is just my 2¢ worth.
Shadowtski liked this
By Adelae
More light might also help it make more dew. You'd expect a lack of dew to be from lack of water/humidity, but often it's just that they don't have enough extra light to make all the sugars that make it sticky.
Adelae liked this

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!