FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Rassac
hey guys :),
I have Vft seeds in peat and perlite mixture in a plastic bag .. in a room which have good light (natural and no direct sun) although I haven’t seed any germination so far and its been roughly 4 weeks. Am I missing something here ?;p or doing something wrong. I was going to place them 2 hours in direct sun daily still in bags. Thats how i germinated drosera ^^
what do you think and whats your opinion friends ?:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Cross
Rassac wrote:hey guys :),
I have Vft seeds in peat and perlite mixture in a plastic bag .. in a room which have good light (natural and no direct sun) although I haven’t seed any germination so far and its been roughly 4 weeks. Am I missing something here ?;p or doing something wrong. I was going to place them 2 hours in direct sun daily still in bags. Thats how i germinated drosera ^^
what do you think and whats your opinion friends ?:)

My vfts took two I think. You gotta give em more time. I'd invest in a grow light though, they're probably not getting enough light. Mine stayed under a grow light, 16 he photo period. 2 months to germination.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By thefic
VFT germination can take between 4-8 weeks. Usually closer to 4 but that depends on light, humidity, and temperature.

I use peat, place the seeds on top and make sure the media is damp. I use grow lights on a 16 hour photoperiod. Room temp is around 80F.

40 is too low for germination.

Use grow lights and a heat mat.
By Cross
Rassac wrote:You understood wrong sir ^^ its 40 celsius :))

Most of us are Fahrenheit, which is why we're usually add the qualifier. You need to cool those pots down. If it's that temp outside, imagine inside the bag. I'd set up for some artificial light. It's sub 20.00 usd.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Moshelly1
Hi there I am also growing from seeds trying 2 different methods of growing, first is with wet peat moss and the second is with wet tissue, it's 6 days and roots are starting to grow, I'm curious as to how long it takes to grow first leaf or trap from time when first root appears till first leaf or trap?
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!