Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Trapper Kay
Photo of one of my D. regia.
Attachments:
99E02031-65CB-4F48-A30B-587E48ABE9FD.jpeg
99E02031-65CB-4F48-A30B-587E48ABE9FD.jpeg (692.34 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
By Ping
Very nice. Regia has forever been on the attempt list but $40 for a coin flip hurts to think about.
By Trapper Kay
Ping wrote:Very nice. Regia has forever been on the attempt list but $40 for a coin flip hurts to think about.
Grown indoors is fairly easy. I’m a new grower so if I can do it, I’m sure anyone can. These were from seed purchased through a reputable grower
By Huntsmanshorn
Ping wrote:Very nice. Regia has forever been on the attempt list but $40 for a coin flip hurts to think about.
With a little care and attention seed is the way to go, no question.
By Ping
Huntsmanshorn wrote:
Is there a certain time to look for seeds? How does the cost compare to an actual seedling?
By Trapper Kay
Ping wrote:
Huntsmanshorn wrote:
Is there a certain time to look for seeds? How does the cost compare to an actual seedling?
There’s not really. I just germinated 10 more regias that were from seeds I got last year and they germinated faster than the first time strangely. Cost is way cheaper. I believe you can get 10 seeds at 10$
By SundewWolf
I also recommend getting seeds since there seems to be some variability among them. I received 10 seeds a while ago, picked the strongest/biggest two to repot and now they grow in my basement with none of the issues I had trying to grow regia in the past. They reached adult size in about a year and a half.
By Ping
SundewWolf wrote:I also recommend getting seeds since there seems to be some variability among them. I received 10 seeds a while ago, picked the strongest/biggest two to repot and now they grow in my basement with none of the issues I had trying to grow regia in the past. They reached adult size in about a year and a half.
Sadly, after doing some quick reading I read that temps above 85F tend to trigger dormancy for these guys. All my lighting is in a garage that gets up to 90F this time of year and I only have a West facing windowsill to grow indoors which I'd believe wouldn't be enough to germinate these guys.

This might be my final reason to setup an indoor space in a closet for my SA sundews..
By Trapper Kay
Ping wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:I also recommend getting seeds since there seems to be some variability among them. I received 10 seeds a while ago, picked the strongest/biggest two to repot and now they grow in my basement with none of the issues I had trying to grow regia in the past. They reached adult size in about a year and a half.
Sadly, after doing some quick reading I read that temps above 85F tend to trigger dormancy for these guys. All my lighting is in a garage that gets up to 90F this time of year and I only have a West facing windowsill to grow indoors which I'd believe wouldn't be enough to germinate these guys.

This might be my final reason to setup an indoor space in a closet for my SA sundews..
If you use the water test tube method, light isn’t really needed. Mine germinate in a test tube filled halfway with distilled water. I keep the test tube in a little shot glass on my desk which gets no light really as there is no windows near by.
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!