FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Ferin
Hello! I'm trying to set up a vining system for my nepenthes, because--at the moment--it's vining branches are just dangling sadly over the edge of the pot and reaching desperately for the light.

What are your vining systems like? Do you use cages? Did you make a set-up for it to grow on? Let's share pictures and ideas! :mrgreen:
By Fieldofscreams
My Ventrata has a 3+ft and a 4+ft vine, the longest ones anyways. During the summer I'm just going to let them all hang over the side of the pot. Supposedly it encourages basal growth. I'm doubting it but we'll see.

During the winter months I stake them because I don't have enough room in front of my window for vines that long. This fall I'm repotting and cutting all the vines down to about a foot tall. I'll probably be cutting 6-8 vines total by then.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By Cross
Fieldofscreams wrote:My Ventrata has a 3+ft and a 4+ft vine, the longest ones anyways. During the summer I'm just going to let them all hang over the side of the pot. Supposedly it encourages basal growth. I'm doubting it but we'll see.

During the winter months I stake them because I don't have enough room in front of my window for vines that long. This fall I'm repotting and cutting all the vines down to about a foot tall. I'll probably be cutting 6-8 vines total by then.
When you bring them in for winter, they don't experience a dormancy right? So they would still be required to have that longer photo period right?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Fieldofscreams
Nepenthes don't have a dormancy period.

Mine just sit in front of my west facing window and unfortunately they get very little if any sunlight and I don't supplement them with any from a grow light or anything.

The down side is they drop all their pitchers and stop growing any new ones. The plus side is they grew out of control.

This coming winter and next summer I'm going to do things a bit different for them. I put them threw hell, I'm going to be a lot nicer lol
By Cross
Fieldofscreams wrote:Nepenthes don't have a dormancy period.

Mine just sit in front of my west facing window and unfortunately they get very little if any sunlight and I don't supplement them with any from a grow light or anything.

The down side is they drop all their pitchers and stop growing any new ones. The plus side is they grew out of control.

This coming winter and next summer I'm going to do things a bit different for them. I put them threw hell, I'm going to be a lot nicer lol
Image I got mine in winter this last year. I had them hanging on a rack with my other plants. They got some light during the entire day. I don't know how, but I'm going to find something better to do with them this year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Fieldofscreams
I'm probably going to supplement their light in the winter and next spring I'm going to acclimate them to the sun in the spring instead of just tossing them out into it. They are burnt up and look bad but healthy and still growing strong.

I'll probably build something for acclimating them.

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!