FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Erik Pottas
So. I bought a mysting system for my carnivorous plants. Its sprays the entire greenhouse. I have a timer. How long should the time run? 30 sec on, 15 mins off (repeatedly). I have sarracenia, nepenthes, venus fly trap. ImageImage

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
By Fieldofscreams
None at all.

Mysting in an enclosure like that will cause problems with mold and fungus and even if it didn't it wouldn't do anything for the plants.
By Erik Pottas
Fieldofscreams wrote:None at all.

Mysting in an enclosure like that will cause problems with mold and fungus and even if it didn't it wouldn't do anything for the plants.
Where I live there's no such thing as mold. Its 30°C everyday. None of the nepenthes pitchers won't grow because there's no humidity. Also theres no sun in the greenhouse cause I put a thingy on the roof, Cause today I saw my nepenthes' leaves burn.

By Fieldofscreams
Thats only 86f. All your plants will thrive in that outside with no cover at all.

At 86f you will definitely get mold and fungus.

My nepenthes gets 4-6 hours of direct sunlight outside. Some leaves burn but it's not a big deal.
By Erik Pottas
Fieldofscreams wrote:Thats only 86f. All your plants will thrive in that outside with no cover at all.

At 86f you will definitely get mold and fungus.

My nepenthes gets 4-6 hours of direct sunlight outside. Some leaves burn but it's not a big deal.
I never had mold before. I used to have an older misting system. Wich I'd just leave on for like 30 mins. Plus no pitcher's wil form cause there's no humidity enen at night there's like 30% humidity. I changed the misting system to only spray my nepenthes. The plants get 9 hours of direct sun.

By Fieldofscreams
The only plant that needs shade (green house if you like) is the nepenthes. But only so you can bring up the moisture in the air.

The VFTS and Sarr's would do best outside if your average temps are 86f. They would thrive.
By sbrooks
Before I got a greenhouse, my flytraps would develop black spots a couple of days after getting rained on. Neem Oil would often stop further spotting, but the damage was done.
My flytraps look much better now in a greenhouse.
Not everyone's environment stays at 86 degrees, so for those high 90's days, open up a few panels in the greenhouse, put a good fan in there, and mist a couple times a day in that 12-4 time frame; keeps them cool, and helps them to color up quicker.
By sbrooks
I often move much of my collection to an outside table for more direct sun, (never found that moving them effects them at all), but if it's going to rain, I bring them back in the greenhouse.
By Erik Pottas
So in the day, can I set the timer to go on for 30 sec and off 1 hour (repeatedly)?

By sbrooks
Erik Pottas wrote:So in the day, can I set the timer to go on for 30 sec and off 1 hour (repeatedly)?

I don't see why not. If it appears to cause any problems (which it won't), adjust accordingly.

I don't have a misting system, just a spray bottle.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Awesome thank you so much

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!