FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Secretariat73
My flytraps almost never catch anything (the gluttonous pitchers seem to lure most of the buggies their way). So it was exciting to see that an unsuspecting fly chose to tempt fate. Of course I made sure to maneuver some cilia out of the way so that the trap could seal properly. :)
Never realized how alien a fly looks
Never realized how alien a fly looks
IMG_7209.JPG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 3074 times
Poor fly... he was *this* close to freedom
Poor fly... he was *this* close to freedom
IMG_7191.JPG (1.77 MiB) Viewed 3074 times
By Big-Jack
Makes a guy almost feel sorry for the little fellow. I keep a dull toothpick handy to help guide those near escapees the rest of the way into their new short term dwelling where it is peaceful and quiet and smells nice.
Big-Jack, Big-Jack liked this
By Klikmaus
Nice!

I've had great luck with the 2 flytraps I bought at Lowes last year. Both have split into two plants over fall/winter & were repotted last month.

Last year they only caught gnats, mosquitos and a few small spiders as the traps were quite small. They blew up this spring & have been catching flys at a surprising rate!

Most of the traps are half-dollar size, averaging 3 to 4 days to digest & reopen.
Klikmaus liked this
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Always nice to see a carnivorous plant doing what comes naturally.

Mine have been going pretty mad. Several houseflies, a slug, a spider, a small house centipede. My little flower stalk cutting has even managed to catch some of the tiny benign mites that lurk around. That's what spring brings.
By Secretariat73
Fieldofscreams wrote:Wish my big mouth grew like that.

I have one the size of a dime and one 3" across and they never get bigger than that. Season after season.
I nearly lost both of my Big Mouths last summer to mineral build up. The plants had dwindled away to nothing but a few small leaves. This particular Big Mouth even lost its main growth point but generated about 5 to 6 new ones once I repotted it and figured out what was going on. It multiplies readily and is capable of producing very large traps now that it is happy.

But Sawtooth and Coquillage? Those two plants just won't thrive for me. :(
By Fieldofscreams
Opposite for me, big mouth is anything but.

Coq. and my UK Sawtooth II are fantastic growers. Coq. Is a naturally small cultivar but does really nicely for me.
By dewyray
I too have the Coquillage flytraps. Mine are in a bog with other cultivars, and next to them, it seems almost sickly. Slow growth, slow trap movement. But by end season, there's a nice rosette of stocky little traps. And it gobbles up fish food just like it's neighbors. Wierd flytrap, for sure.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
By Fieldofscreams
Coq. Traps rarely work.

I try to feed mine by hand with insects that I can catch with tweezers. It's a pain though, you have to hold the insect in the trap for awhile until the trap closes, if it even will.
By Artchic528
dewyray wrote:I too have the Coquillage flytraps. Mine are in a bog with other cultivars, and next to them, it seems almost sickly. Slow growth, slow trap movement. But by end season, there's a nice rosette of stocky little traps. And it gobbles up fish food just like it's neighbors. Wierd flytrap, for sure.

I heard feeding flytraps fish food wasn't advisable because of all the additives in the food. I never really feed my plants, but if I did, it'd only be rehydrated 100% natural bloodworms.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By dewyray
Artchic528 wrote:
dewyray wrote:I too have the Coquillage flytraps. Mine are in a bog with other cultivars, and next to them, it seems almost sickly. Slow growth, slow trap movement. But by end season, there's a nice rosette of stocky little traps. And it gobbles up fish food just like it's neighbors. Wierd flytrap, for sure.

I heard feeding flytraps fish food wasn't advisable because of all the additives in the food. I never really feed my plants, but if I did, it'd only be rehydrated 100% natural bloodworms.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I haven't had any problems, but I do switch it up sometimes with bloodworms. I'll look into that, though. Thanks!
As an aside to the subject, I've been conducting an experiment with a dewy pine and fish food. For about two weeks, I've been putting, with a small paintbrush, twenty blobs of a slurry onto the leaves each evening. Last night was an increase to thirty blobs. The results have been shocking, to say the least haha. In a very good way, I mean. I'll continue this indefinitely and see what happens.

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!