FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By toiletshorts
Ok i feel like I'm about to conduct surgery. The multitude of repotting videos I've watched are helpful but my god i am worried for my VFT Cecil.

His potting mix came early which means i can repot him asap, but I'm kinda scared! I don't wanna kill Cecil :'D

Do i need to put gravel/stones underneath the potting mix at the base of the pot first? Halp :')

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
By Cross
No no, not necessary. Wet your soil first. Put it in s bowl and add distilled water. Peat is very hydrophobic for a while. Once it's good and wet, make a hole in the soil and unpot. Then dangle the roots in and carefully set in the rhizome. Push a smidge of dirt around and voila, newly homed Cecil.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By toiletshorts
Cross, wtf would Cecil and I do without you?!

Will repot him sometime in the week, watch this space.

Also, since getting him I've been leaving him in the sun loads and a couple of his traps have really started to blush! U GO CECIL!

By Cross
toiletshorts wrote:Cross, wtf would Cecil and I do without you?!

Will repot him sometime in the week, watch this space.

Also, since getting him I've been leaving him in the sun loads and a couple of his traps have really started to blush! U GO CECIL!

Lol, someone else would have come along and answered. Make sure you post some pics of Cecil. I love that name for a cp lol.

By toiletshorts
Also, I've fed Cecil an ant 4 days ago and he closed fully around it, but he seems to be finished with it now? Is this something that happens often? Should i remove the carcass once he opens that trap more? Is this something bad? The closed trap on the right is also digesting another ant i think, just want to make sure this is normal. Never fed a vft before :') having beginner's jitters.Image

By Cross
Sometimes they'll be light enough that they'll blow out. It doesn't usually make a difference, unless it's a big carcass. When I feed mine, I'll put the blood worms in and pluck out the carcass. But it typically doesn't hurt it. The traps will only open and close a few times, 3-5.

By toiletshorts
:o it was just stuff i read online about vfts when i was researching them :'D never fed one so i don't know how to tell if

A) that's true
B) Cecil has in fact "finished eating"
C) the ant was perhaps unsuitable?

By Cross
They won't open until done. They just 'know' when. Usually they're just empty husks, like after a spider finishes. It'll be alright though, unless it's taking up the whole trap.

By toiletshorts
I've done it!!!! Look at his rhizome :o it is bigger than i thought it'd be.

He was wrapped in what looked like bandages when i took him out of his original but hideous pink pot. All mucky and yucky.

He is curly AF btw. The curliest boi. It was hard to position his rhizome into the soil as a result. I did squidge it around in the end and got it to fit. And his roots are so goddamn long! I even saw he was growing new roots as well.

I had to gently dig him out and reposition him a few times because he's so droopy and curly and it was hard to bury his rhizome without burying all of him.

How did i do? :'o

Do i need to try again?

I HOPE HE SURVIVES THE PROCEDURE

What are tell tale signs of success/failure other than the obvious???ImageImageImageImage

By toiletshorts
I'm mega paranoid he doesn't survive the repotting but i think that's because I've never actually repotted anything in my life :') watch this space, i will update if i see any signs of life ;)

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!