FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By FlyTrap Hunter
The seeds float on top of the soil until they germinate. If you have green growth with the beige fluffy looking seed attached, you have darlingtonia Californicas sprouts
By DeathMob
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:The seeds float on top of the soil until they germinate.
Yes this is true in the wild, b/c the seeds travel down stream to spread out. But when you are using mostly sphagnum moss in the pot the seeds will run down into the pot. I had my pot filled with sphagnum and I put the seeds on top of the sphagnum and on top of that I had a small layer of peat moss.

P.S. the adult plants spread via stolons.
By DeathMob
I have picture updates on the Cobra Lily sprouts. I don’t know why, but I only have one that is growing very well compared to the others and they look identical to this one. I took a video with my phone the night before last and I am noticing what maybe veins at the base of the plant. This has to be definitely a carnivorous plant!

https://imgur.com/a/OLvGbzU
By steve booth
I'm afraid that doesn't look like a Darlingtonia, nor is putting peat over the seeds a good idea as they need light to germinate. Keep them for a while, if they are weeds it will become apparent in a week or two due to the quick growth rate, Darlingtonia are slow growers, the shape will become more distinctive and Darlingtonia like in a month or two.

Cheers
Steve
By DeathMob
Ok thx. Yeah the others are very slow growing, but rest assured this one is the same as the others and they do get lots of sunlight. The get 5-6+ hrs of sunlight everyday. We shall see if we get pitchers or not. They are about to be on their third month of growing. :)
By DeathMob
Hello just wanted to post an update on the Cobra Lily seedlings or as someone says weeds.

Whatever they are they are growing fast but yet nothing truly tells me that these are weeds or Cobra Lily seeds yet. I know I’ll have to wait a couple of months, but I forgot to mention, I did buy more Cobra Lily seeds from a local carnivorous nursery and received them on the 30th of April and put them in the fridge for stratification with the same soil until the 30th of this month. So here are the cobra Lily seedling update pictures!

https://imgur.com/a/uZeLy1A

It looks like they have some kind of nub growing on the leaves. They each have one and I’m guessing that is where the tongues of the cobra lily would be but not only that I’m also noticing a tiny needle opening just above it. So tiny you need a magnifying glass. Also above the opening is a curved pointy part of the leaf. Sort of reminds me how my Sarracenia look sometimes when they growing new leaves.

And here are my new Cobra Lily seeds on the paper that I received them in and when I had put them in the fridge.

https://imgur.com/a/2mLnuot
By SundewWolf
First link: That is a type of grass for sure. It sprouts in a lot of sphagnum moss, typical "weed" in the CP hobby. I get it in my pots here and there before I rip it out.

Second link: Those are legit Darlingtonia seeds so hopefully they will germinate.
By DeathMob
SundewWolf wrote:First link: That is a type of grass for sure. It sprouts in a lot of sphagnum moss, typical "weed" in the CP hobby. I get it in my pots here and there before I rip it out.

Second link: Those are legit Darlingtonia seeds so hopefully they will germinate.
Yeah I don’t know... I almost willing to agree, but I’m not quite ready to give up on them just yet. :) I will say these seeds I just bought I have no doubt what they are! :D
By SundewWolf
Yeah the first leaf after the cotyledons is a very juvenile pitcher on cobra lily sprouts.
I’m not just guessing at that first pic, I have seen that weedy grass every year in my pots. It grows from seeds that are mixed into the sphagnum when it’s harvested. It grows really vigorous roots so if anything else is in the pot that grass needs to be removed quickly otherwise it’s a huge pain in the but pulling out dense mats of 6-8 inch roots.
By DeathMob
SundewWolf wrote:Yeah the first leaf after the cotyledons is a very juvenile pitcher on cobra lily sprouts.
I’m not just guessing at that first pic, I have seen that weedy grass every year in my pots. It grows from seeds that are mixed into the sphagnum when it’s harvested. It grows really vigorous roots so if anything else is in the pot that grass needs to be removed quickly otherwise it’s a huge pain in the but pulling out dense mats of 6-8 inch roots.
I can promise you these are not grass. I have seen weeds grow in my sphagnum pots but not like this. They usually stay very small for weeks until I pull them out and they don’t populate the whole pot. I keep my sphagnum pots clean by rinsing them out of any algae every other week to once a month. And this is fresh sphagnum with peat moss from stratification to now. So I that’s why I question what the heck are these and what seed was wrongly labeled and given to me and the store I bought them from. Another thing that I have noticed is while this thing is growing it dies down it’s old leaves while grass leaves just keep growing all of it’s leaves.

P.S. I bought a dried compress quarter of a bail of sphagnum moss and had used it in my other pots and had no weeds and used the same sphagnum moss in the pots you see now. So it’s definitely the seeds that I received and I have been working with sphagnum moss for 3 years now to know when to replace it, b/c algae builds up and makes the sphagnum look nasty and super slimy and not pleasing to mess with. You want to replace sphagnum moss every 1-2 years and do it between late winter to early spring. Also I have been growing my own Sphagnum for 2 years as well. I have seen the weeds that can grow along side them but never swarmed with weeds, b/c I pull them out immediately and they don’t look anything like what I have in these pots.
By SundewWolf
It’s just a different type of grass that the other link, probably a sedge...but that’s just another type of grass so in the end you are just growing a grass of some species.

Since you were expecting cobras sprouting I think you let these grow much bigger than what you would usually pull out of the sphagnum while they’re small.

You can wait a few months but the pictures plants won’t look too much different. Just a bit larger and more grassier. I unfortunately don’t know the exact species but it’s a weedy grass, reddish base and thick blades, grows really vigorous roots. It’s possibly the seeds were only mixed in to one chunk of sphagnum that you used now, but these are the exact weeds I get in my sphagnum pots here and there every year.
By DeathMob
These are not blades of grass. They are round like tops of onions and have a curved leaf at the tip. With a nipple at the bottom of the curved leaf. If you let your weeds grow up I’m sure they are not the same. Besides these “weeds” were growing in a bag and in the sunroom before I took them outside. So no seeds could easily get in and germinate.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

Not what you would expect...

Why, the portion cup in front of the binata in the[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!