FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By hershall
Ok, so I bought a healthy flytrap from Pike’s Nursery and immediatly replanted it in a big glass container to give it a cool look. It’s growing fast, so I may have to replant it into a bigger container.
Anyway, the flytrap sits on my desk in my room and is not directly next to the window but it’s pretty close. I open the blinds every morning for it to get some sun (I acclimated it to the sunlight the first few days). I water it with distilled water every time the moss is dry. The media it’s planted in is cut up sphagnum moss and sand (2/3 moss, 1/3 sand) and it’s all mixed together. I “feed” the flytrap a live bug that I know it can handle, and I feed it one bug every time the last bug has been dissolved, so it’s not absorbing more than one bug at a time. I do not fertilize the flytrap, nor did I use nutritional Moss (I know miracle grow is bad).
The moss looked dead when I bought it, and planted the flytrap in it a month ago,but now, from the side I can see it has turned green. It’s not green on the surface, though. I don’t know how to add in pictures :(
Can anyone tell me if this is good or bad, and what I should do if it’s bad?
By Fieldofscreams
Use imgur

Without pics there is no way to know.

But considering your description of it's conditions it is most likely algae.
By Artchic528
It could be that it's algae growing in your sphagnum moss, but without a picture, I can't be sure. To post a picture, scroll down past where you type the message and there should be something that says "add photos/files". Just click/tap on that and your computer/phone should open up its file explorer, where you can select any file or picture to add to your post.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By hershall
I think I added the pictures in correctly. One of them is what it looks like from the top of the container, and the other is from the side. The sun is hidden behind the clouds this morning, so I couldn’t get a good picture but I hope that was good enough :D
Attachments:
9C3741A0-CAAC-4C63-A979-D28648A154CC.jpeg
9C3741A0-CAAC-4C63-A979-D28648A154CC.jpeg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 2624 times
CD442C5D-2812-4A54-B3E9-78BB5C8AA607.jpeg
CD442C5D-2812-4A54-B3E9-78BB5C8AA607.jpeg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 2624 times
By hershall
Should I start putting the flytrap outside then? Should I remove the algae with a toothpick?
By Fieldofscreams
Algae is harmless.

Yes put out it outside. Most carnivorous plants are sun loving, especially VFTs and Sarr pitcher plants. More direct sun the better.

However, since it has never actually seen the sun you are going to have the issue of extreme sun burn. You will need to slowly acclimate it. For the first week one hour of full sun, second week 2 hours full sun, third week 3 hours full sun and so on. Once you get to 5 to 6 hours full sun you can just leave it.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!