FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Hello to anybody reading.

Today I've tried to film a video of planting my Venus flytrap seeds. The idea was to film them throughout the entirety of their lifetime, from seed to (hopefully) mature plant. Good lord it was a pain. I tried setting everything up, I tried to film everything correctly, but at some point something would always get in the way. If it wasn't the obnoxious wind outside, then it was some barking dog. If it wasn't me dropping something and having to do a take over, then it was my camera running out of storage. It's so insanely frustrating.

I feel like whatever I film suddenly becomes really unpresentable. Sure putting soil in a pot isn't exactly the most interesting thing in the world, but the way it all comes together is so bland, so awkward, to the point where I know nobody is going to want to watch this. I know I can make this engaging, I swear, but the process is just so tedious. How do people do this for a job?

Maybe I'm making this hard for myself, but I don't understand how putting together a video comes so naturally to people. To anybody else who has a YouTube channel about their plants, how do you do it?

Sorry if none of this made sense, I just needed a place to rant.
By t9gear
Lol you sound like me when I started filming videos. I can give you some pointers if you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
t9gear liked this
By Cross
I try to motovlog, but I don't like any of the videos I made. I can't offer advice, but I sympathize.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Cross liked this
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
t9gear wrote:Lol you sound like me when I started filming videos. I can give you some pointers if you want

Please go ahead.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Here's a outtake I made when the wind outside got really bad. My patience was tested. Warning for swearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t_f4Yo ... e=youtu.be
By t9gear
Top 3 tips
Record with a separate microphone.
Perfect audio manes or breaks a video

Get a decent editing software (50 bucks powerdirector)

Keep filming even with interruptions

I used to get so mad too but guess what. It can be quite outside for 2 hrs straight and the second you start filming a car horn goes off. Never fails

By SundewWolf
Have you tried drinking a few glasses of Absinthe before filming?

But in all seriousness some days it just seems like everything goes wrong. I’ve had dogs barking, I’ve had planes start to fly over every 2 minutes. Neighbors called the police since they thought I was recording death threats and the police begun an investigation. Recently I ran out of storage on my phone, then the video editing software wouldn’t work so I had to download updates, but I had no more storage room anywhere, so I had to go get an external harddrive. Then I updated the iOS on my phone and now magically have my storage almost empty. Not sure how that happened but I’ll take it.
By CpKid
Oh no, ya you have my sympathies. I was trying to take a film of my outdoors Cp collection the other day...and my younger siblings purposely started being annoying and making noise... :lol: :roll: Sorry, I don't really have any pointers though.
By mcgrumpers
Warning: I don't have a YouTube channel. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

When I tried to make a video, the first 10 attempts were terrible. I'm sure it gets way easier with a lot more practice but I never got that far.

It helps to make a well though out outline of the video (esp. what to say and what shots to take) beforehand. Making a concise and interesting video is a lot more work than making one of those typical 10 minute videos where someone is talking fully impromptu.

If you can, get a tripod and/or someone to help you record the video. In most repotting videos I've seen, it's hard to see what they're doing because the camera is out of focus and at an awkward angle.

If you're recording on your phone, getting Google photos and having it auto-backup all your videos will help conserve storage space. You can then download the backed up videos straight to your computer for editing.
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!