FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By DeathMob
What should I do if they turn dark green? It is spring and temperatures are around low 60’s to sometimes high 70’s.

Are they dying?
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 4617 times
By DeathMob
Yeah, I hope that I did get the right seeds. I am almost certain that I do though, because I made certain that these seeds were right and they do look like the right seeds. I just think they are not fully developed yet. These sprouts are about 1-5 weeks old.

Also these seeds have gone through 4 weeks of stratification after I receive them as of Feb 2nd
to March 3rd.

I just read that from seed these guys are slow growing. Within 3 years they will be 2-4 inches long.
Attachments:
347D3276-3DE1-4AE3-8E01-323CC6FC4E82.png
347D3276-3DE1-4AE3-8E01-323CC6FC4E82.png (3.49 MiB) Viewed 4573 times
By steve booth
DeathMob wrote:What should I do if they turn dark green? It is spring and temperatures are around low 60’s to sometimes high 70’s.

Are they dying?
Temperatures low 60s and high 70s are not a problem to these plants, also dark green isnt a problem as long as they are getting as much light as you can give them. Just let them grow on.

Cheers
Steve
By DeathMob
steve booth wrote:Temperatures low 60s and high 70s are not a problem to these plants, also dark green isnt a problem as long as they are getting as much light as you can give them. Just let them grow on.

Cheers
Steve
Awesome thanks for the reply Steve! I actually looked at the roots before I reported them into a white container and they were white and healthy! Thanks again!
By FlyTrap Hunter
Deathmob
I don't know. Inside they stay green but are really red/purple outside. I got the seeds from what'sgrowingon.
It survived outside last year to temps of 95 to 100F, but we have night time drops to 70F here In Eastern NC. I am going to keep mine in sunlight til about noon. I think keeping it in the shade for the afternoon helps with the heat. I think that's how it survived the summer heat.
Good luck growing them
By DeathMob
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:Deathmob
I don't know. Inside they stay green but are really red/purple outside. I got the seeds from what'sgrowingon.
It survived outside last year to temps of 95 to 100F, but we have night time drops to 70F here In Eastern NC. I am going to keep mine in sunlight til about noon. I think keeping it in the shade for the afternoon helps with the heat. I think that's how it survived the summer heat.
Good luck growing them
Awesome!!!! Thanks for the tip I was so thinking that exactly as to how to care for them in the summer heat. Spring and fall temperatures are great for full sun and especially winter. They like warm days and cool nights during the growing seasons. It’s just for the hot days and nights we have to take a little extra care for them by either providing cool water or shade. I’m going to put some in the shade and some I’m gonna try to take care with some cool water ideas that I have in mind, but if ever away from home for long periods of time the best place for them is in shade in the afternoon.

Btw how long does it take for them to grow their first pitcher? I grew mine from seed. These guys are going on week 6 and some are still sprouting.
By steve booth
The pitchers in FTHs picture are the juvenile 'first' pitchers the next flush will be small but Darlingtonia shaped pitchers. When this happens depends on what plant seeds you have, where the plant is in the seasons etc, but as a general rule towards the end of the first year or definitely in the second year, they do grow slowly so patience is required.
Cheers
Steve
By DeathMob
Cool thanks Steve! One last question. How many actually sprout from one seed? I bought like 20 (like 5 extra seeds in each pack of 10) and had to dig out like 30-40 seedlings that were deep in the soil (sphagnum moss). I believe this is normal right? B/c most CPs seeds sprout multiple right?
By DeathMob
SundewWolf wrote:One seed sprouts one plant. Your description furthers my belief that you just have weeds popping up in the sphagnum.
Well I don’t know how I have weeds when they went through stratification in my fridge in a plastic bag and in the same plastic bag they sprouted unless I bought fake seeds. Idk but here are the sprouts while in the plastic bag, which sprouted in a week after stratification. The roots are white and the seedling hooks like a cane and is green. I will take a picture of them in my hand tomorrow. Also these sprouts are not fast growing at all, so to say that they are weeds is not the case, b/c weeds are fast growing and flower fast, and these guys have not grown past an inch (most of them have not grown past 1/4 of an inch) for the past 6-7 weeks. It has not been 8 full weeks yet. I only had 4 early sprouts 2 weeks after stratification, from then on I had 7 within 3 weeks, 10 by 4 weeks, by week 6 15, by week 7 unknown?! I’m going to be patient and not assume these are weeds.
Attachments:
9D865E34-683B-4213-BA4B-B77775C98B61.jpeg
9D865E34-683B-4213-BA4B-B77775C98B61.jpeg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 4459 times
By SundewWolf
I’m not saying there aren’t any darlingtonia at all, but seeds only sprout one plant. So either the seeds were miscounted or weeds sprung up (it’s common to have random seeds mixed in to sphagnum and peat which will sprout if it wasn’t sterilized). That first picture looks a bit strange but maybe it’s just a sunburned darlingtonia seedling. A few more weeks and it will be clear as to what it really is.
By DeathMob
SundewWolf wrote:I’m not saying there aren’t any darlingtonia at all, but seeds only sprout one plant. So either the seeds were miscounted or weeds sprung up (it’s common to have random seeds mixed in to sphagnum and peat which will sprout if it is wasn’t sterilized). That first picture looks a bit strange but maybe it’s just a sunburned darlingtonia seedling. A few more weeks and it will be clear as to what it really is.
Awesome thank you!!! I truly hope they are Darlingtonia and I’m not trying to take care of some weeds. It takes a lot of time and dedication to grow these plants and for me to grow these from seed and never grown them before worries me. I do know that there were extra seeds in each pack. So I’m hoping that is all it is.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!