FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Artchic528
I'm curious if they look okay. I rescued the smallest one from being completely dug up by squirrels. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By Artchic528
Fieldofscreams wrote:Looks good to me.

Little on the wet side but otherwise they look good.
I just watered them before taking pictures. I usually water about once every 2-3 days, unless it rains. If it rains, and it's a good long hard rain, I wait another 2-3 days for the peat to dry up again. If it's only a light rain, I'l wait another day and then water. My tap water has around 49ppm last time I tested it, so that's what I use, and figure that the rain can flush out any mineral buildup. Of course, watering frequency increases with the heat.

Anyways, I'm repotting them tomorrow for two reasons. It's been two years since I initially got them and put them in said pot, and algea has grown everywhere on the LFS I put on top. And also because, apparently, the old wash tub I've made into their potting container wasn't meant to actually be left out in the elements and is now brittle as can be and shattering into pieces. I already went out and got one of those massive bales of peat moss from Lowe's, that "Premier" brand stuff. I wish it came in smaller bags, as it's really cumbersome and heavy, but the upside is that I won't have to buy any for a few years to come.

Just curious but can I put my flytraps in a regular old plastic garden pot? I found a really nice one among the ones I already have and want to use it with one of those clear plastic saucer trays you find at Lowe's. It's several inches taller than the old wash tub (wash tub is about 4-5 inches tall) and about 12-13 inches in diameter at the top and 8-10 inches in diameter at the bottom. I think my flytraps will love the extra room to grow.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!