FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By KStap18
Hello,

So I'm noticing aphids crawling on the pots and trays of my plants, but not exactly on the plants. I've been squishing the ones I see with my fingers, but every day I keep finding more and I'm wondering couple things:

1. Where do they keep coming from? I know that they lay a bunch of eggs, but I can't see to find the source since none are affecting any of my plants.

2. Is it normal for them just to be crawling around my plants but not so into my plants?
By Bob Beer
Are you sure they’re aphids and not soil mites? If you could get a clear pic that would help. Aphids even when they walk are generally very slow-moving, and I’ve never seen them anywhere but on plants, unless they have just been knocked off of a plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By KStap18
I'll try to take some tonight, but they are green and have a soft body when I squishing them! Their legs are also green.
By KStap18
Here are the best pics I could take. But they all tend to be on the rims of the pots. There are some I find on the plant, but what more not on the plant.ImageImageImage
By TheTrapper
It appears to be aphids. It is definitely not soil mites as mites are actually small arachnids and have eight legs and the insect in your image has six legs. Aphids like to feed on the petioles of plants. and especially on the underside of the leaves and on the stem. Check under your leaves and stems for small green bumps. If you have a magnifying glass handy and see the bumps upon closer inspection you can see that they are actually the aphids. Aphids are really good at camouflage and can be quite hard to spot. Some ants will move aphids around like cattle feeding off of the sweet excretions (AKA honeydew) of the aphids and even raising them in their colony. So also check for ants. You can be certain that the aphids are feeding somewhere near as they do not wander far from the food source. To get rid of them Neem oil works quite well. There are also many home remedies you can use just be careful of what you spray around plants, and try to keep the spraying of pesticide only on the affected areas and not on the soil where it could potentially harm your plants. Hope all this helps and Good Growing! :D
An up close and personal look at your friendly neighborhood aphid.
An up close and personal look at your friendly neighborhood aphid.
MA_00078430_ud5o6z.jpg (113.08 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
By Bob Beer
Yes definitely aphids. Odd that they’re not on the plants, but some probably are. Yes try the neem or azdarachtin but if you use neem oil don’t use the dish soap as Drosera hates that. Watch the new growth especially as that’s where they tend to congregate and can do the most damage. If the neem doesn’t work I’d use imidaclorid; it’s a systemic. If you have a friend who has some it’s better since it doesn’t come in really small amounts and it’s sort if a pity to spend a bunch on something to use 1/2 teaspoon of it! But it will solve the problem quickly.

By KStap18
Hello,

Thanks for all the info! Yeah I have Bayer that I've used before. But I do find it super strange they aren't congregated on a plant which is why I've been hesitant to use anything right now. But I mean I've been keeping a sharp eye on my plants and squishing as much as I can for the moment!
By KStap18
So upon closer inspection, I realized that there are aphids infesting a nearby tree! I was noticing a larger amount of aphids crawling around my plants today which happens to be quite windy. This is probably why they aren't on my plants as it does seem that they had fallen off this tree and are wandering aimlessly. I'm going to move my plants for the time being to protect them from getting worse!
By Fieldofscreams
Avid from FTS.

/Thread
By Bob Beer
Fieldofscreams wrote:Avid from FTS.

/Thread
The miticide? What is FTS?

By FlyTrap Hunter
Bob Beer wrote:
Fieldofscreams wrote:Avid from FTS.

/Thread
The miticide? What is FTS?

Fly Trap store
By Huntsmanshorn
Beware, I find aphids to be extremely fond of D. capensis.
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!