FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nepenthes0260
Recently one of my Heliamphora started flowering with six seprate flower stalks. My question is, if I cut these flowers, will it promote new growth or harm the plant? I don’t want my heli wasting all its energy on flowers.
By TheTrapper
Depends on how far along stalks are if they are already quite developed then cutting them will not be advantageous as the plant has already expended the energy on the stalks. If the stalks are still pretty small cutting them would make the plant focus its energy on new growth rather than reproduction. So it's really your choice seeds vs more growth.
TheTrapper liked this
By Nepenthes0260
TheTrapper wrote:Depends on how far along stalks are if they are already quite developed then cutting them will not be advantageous as the plant has already expended the energy on the stalks. If the stalks are still pretty small cutting them would make the plant focus its energy on new growth rather than reproduction. So it's really your choice seeds vs more growth.
Thanks! Two of them are far along, while the other ones are just starting. I'll cut the small ones since another Heli is already flowering.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!