FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By twitcher
Always have live cultures of wingless fruit flies, springtails and grindal worms if anybody's interested in getting a starter. Possible trade for live sphagnum, drosera, pings or ultrics or whatever. PM if interested. Good natural food sources for various and easy,
By Cross
twitcher wrote:Always have live cultures of wingless fruit flies, springtails and grindal worms if anybody's interested in getting a starter. Possible trade for live sphagnum, drosera, pings or ultrics or whatever. PM if interested. Good natural food sources for various and easy,
You raise these? How? How intensive is it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By twitcher
Easy to raise. I feed all three types to my fish. Flightless Fruit flies are what I normally feed the cp's and I hear that some people feed springtails to cp's as well.

Fruit flies need to be subcultured every few weeks. I harvest into a zip bag then freeze the bag. The dead flies are then fed to the plants. Excess flies can be dried and also fed to cp's. I usually put into a small plastic cup and set on top of one of the led lights to dry. Only need to harvest and dry occasionally. I like using the wff as they are natural prey for the plants and fish.

Grindals are small worms (related to earthworms) that can be cultured by the many thousands in a shoe box. For best growth, they need to be fed every couple of days. The should be washed after harvesting but washed live worms can be stored alive for a few days for feeding to fish. Dead washed grindals can be freeze dried (very easy to do in your freezer) then broken up or crushed up to feed to cp's or fish. I would not feed live grindals to cp's. Just don't know if they would be safe for the plants. Grindal starter cultures can be hard to find.

Springtales can be cultured by themselves in small containers of charcoal or co-existantly with grindals. They jump a lot, hence the name. The are hydrophobic and walk on the surface of water. They are very small, 1-2 mm. so don't have much food value. I feed to the fish for entertainment value. They can see the fish coming for them :? , then try to get away. The fish will chase and hunt :mrgreen: .
By Cross
I'm going to have to look up culturing fruit flies. That is really cool that you can do this. I considered raising silk worms for quite a bit, but it's not in the cards right now. I looked up images of spring tails..... I may have a nightmare tonight.

By twitcher
Ha Ha! They are very small and found in many houses. One might be crawling on you right now. Never fear, it will likely jump away soon if you don't taste good.
By Cross
twitcher wrote:Ha Ha! They are very small and found in many houses. One might be crawling on you right now. Never fear, it will likely jump away soon if you don't taste good.
Excuse me, I need to buy shares in ortho.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!