FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By King Drosophyllum VI
Due to recent observations done by myself, it is now clear that the species Acanthonus armatus should be reclassified in a new carnivorous plant genus with the name, "I" which would be placed in the Welwitschiaceae family. This genus would include several other species such as Drosera regia, D. prolifera, Cephalotus follicularis, Buddenbrockia plumatellae, and Salinella salve. The new genus's placement in the Welwitschiaceae is due to the fact that the type species, Yersinia pestis was not placed in a monotypic genus prior to being reclassified which is different than the other genus in the Welwitschiaceae, Welwitschia while other species in I, such as Spinosaurus aegyptiacus are in fact also orignally from monotypic genera. The species Acanthonus armatus will be moved to "I" due to findings in a recent genome sequence (that may or may not of actually happened) which proved that the chromosomes of Acanthonus armatus in fact as with the rest of the Welwischiaceae (including other members of "I") is pimarily made of Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). The fact that genetic information travels from the nucleus of A. armatus cells to the ribosomes via messenger
ribonucleic acid (mRNA) is also contibuting evidence for the placement. This genetic evidence applies to all the species which would be moved to "I".

A list of species which would be moved in the proposed "I" genus:

Acanthonus armatus
Wolffia arrhiza
Buddenbrockia plumatellae
Cephalaspis lyelli
Cephalotes adolphi
C. alfaroi
C. bruchi
C. incertus
Cephalotus follicularis
Dickinsonia costata
Drosera prolifera
D. regia
Megatherium americanum
Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
Yersinia pestis

A second proposed carnivorous plant genus, Shaggy would also be included in the Welwitschiaceae. The genus Shaggy would contain only two species, S. rex and S. magni and they have significant variation between them. Both members of the genus are large plants with with a hollow rizome filled with digestive fluid which can be up to 13 meters below the surface. The plant has two leaf types: the first type is a large compound leaf similar to those of the genus Amorphophallus which extends above the soil surface which can get up to 34 meters tall. The second leaf type is a large hollow tube which reaches just below the surface of the ground and is similar to those of Sarracenia leaves except for that they are underground. The tube in the leaf is connected to the 4 meter wide space in the rizome allowing prey to fall into the digestive fluid. The tube has a lid which is level with the surface of the gound and mimics the ground with the help of leaf litter whichaccumulates on top of it forming a hidden
trapdoor trap that can capture large animals (including humans). The range of Shaggy magni is smaller than S. rex and is very rare with small largely spread out population clusters only existing on the West Coast of the United States with the exception of an introduced population discovered in Cuba. Shaggy rex has a much larger native range streaching from the southern tip of South America to the East coast of the United States with populations extending into Western Europe and Southern Africa. S. rex is also an invasive species in New Zealand and is though to be responsible for the recent extinction of the already extinct Moa (Dinornithiformes).

Cladogram
Cladogram
GnetophytaCladogram.png (27.36 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
Also because of a study made after writing this I have determined that this is an April fool's joke and should definitely be taken literally.
By sbrooks
King Drosophyllum VI wrote:Due to recent observations done by myself, it is now clear that the species Acanthonus armatus should be reclassified in a new carnivorous plant genus with the name, "I" which would be placed in the Welwitschiaceae family. This genus would include several other species such as Drosera regia, D. prolifera, Cephalotus follicularis, Buddenbrockia plumatellae, and Salinella salve. The new genus's placement in the Welwitschiaceae is due to the fact that the type species, Yersinia pestis was not placed in a monotypic genus prior to being reclassified which is different than the other genus in the Welwitschiaceae, Welwitschia while other species in I, such as Spinosaurus aegyptiacus are in fact also orignally from monotypic genera. The species Acanthonus armatus will be moved to "I" due to findings in a recent genome sequence (that may or may not of actually happened) which proved that the chromosomes of Acanthonus armatus in fact as with the rest of the Welwischiaceae (including other members of "I") is pimarily made of Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). The fact that genetic information travels from the nucleus of A. armatus cells to the ribosomes via messenger
ribonucleic acid (mRNA) is also contibuting evidence for the placement. This genetic evidence applies to all the species which would be moved to "I".

A list of species which would be moved in the proposed "I" genus:

Acanthonus armatus
Wolffia arrhiza
Buddenbrockia plumatellae
Cephalaspis lyelli
Cephalotes adolphi
C. alfaroi
C. bruchi
C. incertus
Cephalotus follicularis
Dickinsonia costata
Drosera prolifera
D. regia
Megatherium americanum
Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
Yersinia pestis

A second proposed carnivorous plant genus, Shaggy would also be included in the Welwitschiaceae. The genus Shaggy would contain only two species, S. rex and S. magni and they have significant variation between them. Both members of the genus are large plants with with a hollow rizome filled with digestive fluid which can be up to 13 meters below the surface. The plant has two leaf types: the first type is a large compound leaf similar to those of the genus Amorphophallus which extends above the soil surface which can get up to 34 meters tall. The second leaf type is a large hollow tube which reaches just below the surface of the ground and is similar to those of Sarracenia leaves except for that they are underground. The tube in the leaf is connected to the 4 meter wide space in the rizome allowing prey to fall into the digestive fluid. The tube has a lid which is level with the surface of the gound and mimics the ground with the help of leaf litter whichaccumulates on top of it forming a hidden
trapdoor trap that can capture large animals (including humans). The range of Shaggy magni is smaller than S. rex and is very rare with small largely spread out population clusters only existing on the West Coast of the United States with the exception of an introduced population discovered in Cuba. Shaggy rex has a much larger native range streaching from the southern tip of South America to the East coast of the United States with populations extending into Western Europe and Southern Africa. S. rex is also an invasive species in New Zealand and is though to be responsible for the recent extinction of the already extinct Moa (Dinornithiformes).

GnetophytaCladogram.png
Also because of a study made after writing this I have determined that this is an April fool's joke and should definitely be taken literally.
Yeah, well, your shoe is untied. :geek:
sbrooks liked this
By Painley
Haha. I just stumbled across this. I quickly realized something was not right and was scratching my head.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!