FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By CpKid
Not sure where to post this! I thought maybe the chit chat would work. For some reason the pics wouldn't attach...had to download them

New carnivorous hybrid petunia makes the headlines

“The strangest plant of all times” according to SCIENCE WORLD rep. J. S., “ is this hybrid petunia”. Bred by Plant enthusiast Erik J., it is a combination of the cultivators “Burpees best” and “Twilight”. Erik had no idea that the result of crossing these two plants would create an insect eating carnivorous plant, though he has attempted in the past to breed an insect digesting garden flower. This hybrid is a huge scientific breakthrough, says science world rep., it shows how selective breeding can make long dead genetics strains in plants come back alive, such as the insect catching hairs of this particular petunia. Although details are scarce, here is a summary on how the hybrid catches its prey: first, a small insect, such as a mosquito, or small fly, lands on the leaves of this plant hoping to rest or feed, and gets caught by dozens of small, white, hairs, each of which are equipped with small globs of sticky digestive enzymes. As the insect struggles, more hairs bend in to subdue its struggling prey, and gradually the insect is overpowered and digestion takes place. Although Erik has not yet specified whether he is going to try to market his new plants, he has obtained a patent for his hybrid, which is now known as “Garden terror #1”.
This plant could be a huge help with pest control in the garden, eating small flying pests such as mosquitoes and young house flies. If it ever goes for sale, it would be very popular; and, as it is attractive as an ordinary petunia, it could play a double role both as a decorative plant and pest control.

Questions or comments? Contact me at
js913@hotmail.com
Attachments:
1446231003798.jpeg
1446231003798.jpeg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
The petunia Maybe, just maybe this is a prank! Happy april 1st!
The petunia Maybe, just maybe this is a prank! Happy april 1st!
Devils-claw-leaves.jpg (623.75 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
By Cross
Am I the only one that thinks it looks like a mouth with a tongue sticking out?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By ChefDean
This article may be intended as an April Fools prank, but it's based on actual research. Petunias and potatoes do have a rudimentary ability to catch bugs, just not digest them. It's thought that it's a secondary type of carnivory; the bugs are caught, die, and are washed off to decompose in the soil where their nutrients are then absorbed by the roots.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 103747.htm
By CpKid
That is really interesting! Yes, thats something I wrote up a year ago for one of my friends...I wonder if petunias will eventually be classified as carnivores/sub carnivores?
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!