FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By FlyTrap Hunter
I just did a screen grab and I am sure the article can be Googled.
They set his bond at about $10,000 per plant
Brunswick county nc
Brunswick county nc
Effect_20190318_194207.jpg (53.82 KiB) Viewed 4302 times
Rehder gardens gets poached also. All the cameras are busted out there. I have pictures of holes. It's really obvious. I have debated about whether to get upset or not. I only hope the ones from Rehder gardens are taken care of and they help to keep the CPs from Extinction.
Any way around it, it's stealing.
By Cross
That makes me mad. He's not keeping them, he's selling them to whatever seven year old snot convinces his mother. I hope they're taken care of, but I know better. Makes me ashamed to say I live ten years in fly trap territory.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By javaliz59
This makes me absolutely livid. I don't understand why someone would do this. Happy to hear this moron was caught and hope he's unable to bail out. I'm wondering if the idiot buying the plants was arrested too. He's just as guilty.
Also has anyone heard if the poached VFTs were salvaged and replanted back where they belong?

Anyone know if there a nonprofit to help protect VFTs, Sarracenias and other American CPs? I would gladly donate to that cause.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By DragonsEye
Rather pointlessly stupid really. If the plants had be really valuable I would be less surprised. But typical vfts are cheap to begin with being propagated en masse as they are. The idiot couldn't have been expecting to make a ton of money off of them.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Turns out to be a success story.
The NC wildlife and game commission has been staking out the area for a month and they caught him with a motion sensitive camera. The camera got the poachers picture and sent it to the wildlife officers phone. He left the meeting he was in and drove out and found the guy about to leave. He admitted to taking about 200 per month. They said they were still fresh and not wilted.
Busted. Who ya gonna call
By FlyTrap Hunter
Dragonseye
I have read that the buyer pays 25 cents per plant and he was poaching about 200 per month. That's only $50.
I was told that some of the beach novelty stores give them away with a purchase. I didn't believe it but can see now how they can do it. This is serious fly trap exploitation. At least this guy was caught. And I bet he takes the buyer down with him.
By Cross
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:Dragonseye
I have read that the buyer pays 25 cents per plant and he was poaching about 200 per month. That's only $50.
I was told that some of the beach novelty stores give them away with a purchase. I didn't believe it but can see now how they can do it. This is serious fly trap exploitation. At least this guy was caught. And I bet he takes the buyer down with him.
I've never seen them at a store there, and I lived in vft territory. However, some tourist towns are so desperate that they will flatten tires and etc. For business.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By DragonsEye
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:Dragonseye
In my book, that isn't even worth the time and effort it would take to dig them all up, let alone the risk of getting caught and fined/jailed.
By SundewWolf
I watched this old VHS about flytrap poaching on YouTube about 2 weeks before this. Just actors (I think), but still was an interesting watch https://youtu.be/SYb8cPL8bgw
Last edited by SundewWolf on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
By FlyTrap Hunter
LoL. The Venusians brought the fly traps here in their space ships.
I believe the video expressed that these poachers are very poor and desperate. That's why they steal and sale the fly traps.
We are not like that so we don't understand it.
Cpkid
It seems like they are trimming off dead leaves. But more than likely as . Sundewwolf said, they are actors. He would just be cutting and not knowing what he was doing. That video was likely produced by a wildlife officer or a group. Seems strange to cut the fly trap the way he does. But notice the guy says that looks like a 30 cent piece.
The Sarracenia were pretty sweet!
Last edited by FlyTrap Hunter on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

Supply the air fare and lodging and I will be ther[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!