FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Jinglebells
My flytraps are wilting. I believe they are coming out of dormancy but I've never seen them do this before and they don't typically present this way when they are sunburnt so I am not sure what is going on.

I have had them for 5 years with minor problems but this is the worst they have ever looked. They have been inside for the winter but near a window. They were starting to wilt about 2-3 weeks ago and their leaves were coming in deformed and with no traps so I uprooted them to look for signs of disease. The rhizomes looked good on all of them though some of the roots came away quite easily. They have only been given distilled water.

I put them outside starting about 3 days ago. The sun has not been intense but they did stay out all day. I am hoping it is sunburn and the new growth comes in healthy but seeing as sunburn has never presented this way in the past and the wilting started while they were still inside, Im not sure that is the problem.

Has anyone seen this before and maybe know the cause?

Thank you
Attachments:
671D2462-A565-4F8C-A5BC-4F779D68A151.jpeg
671D2462-A565-4F8C-A5BC-4F779D68A151.jpeg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 3752 times
914F862D-7EC5-4A7E-B3AC-666EBC922A40.jpeg
914F862D-7EC5-4A7E-B3AC-666EBC922A40.jpeg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 3752 times
A565BE3C-81C0-4550-B0AA-5E6960EA77C1.jpeg
A565BE3C-81C0-4550-B0AA-5E6960EA77C1.jpeg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 3752 times
By thefic
Those look really dry and sunburnt.

A slow acclimation to outdoors from inside is best. Just a few hours a day and slowly increasing the time.

Make sure to keep them in a tray of water and check the soil often.

Makes sure that the temps are warm enough as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Jinglebells
They are always in a tray of water. I never let them dry out but sunburn I can believe. Unfortunately I'm not on a schedule where I can give them a few hours and then bring them in. I'm gone from dawn to dusk but I'm hoping the new growth will be acclimated.

The temperatures have been mod 40s at night and low 60s during the day but I always bring them inside if temperatures are going to drop below freezing.

My main concern is that this was somewhat happening before they ever got put outside and I always kept them in a tray of water so I'm concerned they are not taking water up. But like I said, the rhizomes looked great and they all had roots so I'm not sure. I'm praying it's just sunburnt and they will recover
By FlyTrap Hunter
Distilled or rain water or reverse osmosis water
No fertilizers
If it is sunburned, they will recover.
I only see one little trap that looks like new growth, but that is positive.
Are you sure the soil is free of fertilizers?
If it's burned, it will adjust itself.
It will die if the soil has fertilizer.
And fly traps tend to need some shade during the hottest part of the day and when temps above 90F. Good luck
By Jinglebells
There is no fertilizer. I've been using the same brand peat moss and perlite mix which I mix myself for years now. That's why I'm so concerned what's happening. I've raised these things without major concern for their health for about 5 years now and all of a sudden this.

I'm limited on where I can put the plants outside but they get direct sunlight from about 1pm-sunset and the temperatures have not been above about 60-65F so far. They come inside when it drops below freezing and they have ample distilled water from the grocery store.

They began wilting a bit before they ever went outside and worsened once they were placed outside but considering this started in the house and they have been sunburnt before, this is not the typical presentation of sunburn. Usually the traps blacken and the leaves turn red then start to blacked as well. These just look like they are wilting then drying out.

Two of my traps are starting to show new growth so I'm hopeful some will make it but this is what they look like currently. I'm mostly just trying to figure out the cause of this because in 5 years of raising them I've never seen them do this and I have not changed any of their care so I'm confused what's happening to them now.
Attachments:
94A1DDB8-5A96-4BCF-A1FF-06E72EA25F71.jpeg
94A1DDB8-5A96-4BCF-A1FF-06E72EA25F71.jpeg (3.18 MiB) Viewed 3650 times
5F365B2A-9D5C-4259-B65D-B31DBAC8C9BB.jpeg
5F365B2A-9D5C-4259-B65D-B31DBAC8C9BB.jpeg (3.2 MiB) Viewed 3650 times
By Secretariat73
Just reaching and tossing ideas out there...

Have you tested the peat moss and perlite recently? Manufacturers sometimes change their formulas without notice. The peat moss I used this year for my sarrs had a much higher ppm reading even though it was my usual brand. Had to run extra water through the pots in order to rinse things out.

Were the plants recently repotted before you noticed the problem? If so, could some roots have been damaged during the process?

When you checked the rhizomes, did you notice if the potting mixture was uniformly moist throughout? I've had the peat mixture that one of my red capensis grows in go hydrophobic. Don't ask me how that could happen when the dang plant sits in water all day but it sure did. There weren't even any roots clogging up the drain hole at the bottom of the cup. But the result was the soil surface looking moist enough while the peat underneath was drying out. The problem went unnoticed until the plant lost most of its dew for no apparent reason.
By Jinglebells
Cross wrote:Is it even new growth dying out?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I am reserving the judgment for a couple more days. So far it seems they are doing okay but they are still tiny sprouts, I only have 3-4 sprouts to monitor, and the traps have not really begun to develop yet. Even the older ones that have not dried out, mostly do not have functional traps at this point (traps are closed, beginning to die, never opened, etc) so I want to see what the new growth will become.
By Jinglebells
Secretariat73 wrote:Just reaching and tossing ideas out there...

Have you tested the peat moss and perlite recently? Manufacturers sometimes change their formulas without notice. The peat moss I used this year for my sarrs had a much higher ppm reading even though it was my usual brand. Had to run extra water through the pots in order to rinse things out.

Were the plants recently repotted before you noticed the problem? If so, could some roots have been damaged during the process?

When you checked the rhizomes, did you notice if the potting mixture was uniformly moist throughout? I've had the peat mixture that one of my red capensis grows in go hydrophobic. Don't ask me how that could happen when the dang plant sits in water all day but it sure did. There weren't even any roots clogging up the drain hole at the bottom of the cup. But the result was the soil surface looking moist enough while the peat underneath was drying out. The problem went unnoticed until the plant lost most of its dew for no apparent reason.
I have not tested the moss recently but it is from the same bag as the last time they were repotted. It has been kept in good dry storage condition while not in use so I do not believe fungal growth, bugs, etc is likely but it is definitely something worth considering. They were repotted sometime last year and did not really have a problem besides the few traps that typically become stressed during the moving process. They were repotted about 2 weeks ago after I noticed the dying leaves just because I wanted to check for bugs, mold, fungus and see how healthy the root system and rhizomes were.

The potting media was moist throughout but I think I did mention some of the flytrap roots detached from the plant easily but from what I could tell, those roots appeared to be healthy and showed no signs of root rot. The rhizomes were perfect and enough roots still remained to be sustainable for the plant. I am sure that move stressed them out a bit as they already were not doing the best but the move I do not think was the cause of this appearance since they were showing signs of this prior to the repotting. I am hoping my little bit of new growth will be promising and healthy.
By Jinglebells
Well got a heavy rain today and most of my new sprouts have turned to mush and become slimy. I guess I'm giving up on this trap after 5 years :( . Dissapointing but I've never had a green thumb so not surprising
By Doublebass1985
Even 60℉ days can have a lot of infrared heat and rays that can damage plants. You've ever been outside on a clear day when it's 32℉ and the sun hitting you is still very warm. So a plant that just gets put outside and not slowly accumulated to the sun can cause minor damage nothing too serious but your plant will acclimate itself to the sun's rays and the new growth will be able to tolerate it.
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!