FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
Do you guys think it's safe to put my vfts, sarracenia, neps, and sundews outside yet? We've got 40's this week and 50's next. I'd love to give them some good light. I don't have a southern facing window, and while I have good lights, it's no sun. I'll include a picture of the temps and my plants. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By That one plant boi
The neps should definitely be kept inside. The flytraps and sarrs should be good to go though. You might wanna give them some added protection from deep freezes, otherwise I think they'll be fine. I would keep the sundews indoors too.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
That one plant boi liked this
By Cross
That one plant boi wrote:The neps should definitely be kept inside. The flytraps and sarrs should be good to go though. You might wanna give them some added protection from deep freezes, otherwise I think they'll be fine. I would keep the sundews indoors too.

When do you think I can put them out? All of the plants will definitely be coming in at night. (I've got a neighborhood of nocturnal destructive, plant eating animals)

By That one plant boi
They should probably stay inside until temps stop dipping below fifty degrees.

By SundewWolf
Don't move them around, put them outside and let them stay there. If you plan on always bringing them inside for the night they won't grow well.

Since these are probably not acclimated, I agree that the low should be 50 before putting them out. Nepenthes shouldn't be out until the low is 60 others there's a chance it's going to get a lot of cold damage.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Do you know you have vft flowers blooming?
I would give the fly traps and Sarracenia as much sun as they can get. For now I would not let them freeze, but put them outside on days above 50. It's really stressful for a fly trap to be flowering and not get enough light.
Your plants look pretty good but need more light.
Your intuition is right.
By Mpott302
Definitely wait on the neps. I had mine on a porch in the beginning of winter and it suffered a lot of cold damage. I’m still trying to bring it back. For the rest, you should be safe. I’ve got pretty similar weather coming up in Delaware. I checked the forecast and starting Wednesday there are no lows below freezing in the near future, im repotting my mini bogs tomorrow and they’re going outside Wednesday. If it does freeze again it will just be overnight and not cold enough/long enough to freeze the medium in the bogs
By Mpott302
A little while back you asked me to let you know if I get any divisions of my S. Purpurea It looks like there’s at least one, I’ll find out tomorrow and let you know. Maybe we can work out a trade or something
By Cross
Mpott302 wrote:A little while back you asked me to let you know if I get any divisions of my S. Purpurea It looks like there’s at least one, I’ll find out tomorrow and let you know. Maybe we can work out a trade or something
Yeah absolutely, I think my king Henry might have a decent sized division. Maybe, he may be tricking me. Otherwise, my jaws, king Henry, purple ambush, and typicals are flowering. I'm testing some multiplication media and I'll be planting these seeds to get separate plants. I could grow one of those for you. My other jaws divisions haven't died, but they're not really growing either which is weird.

By Cross
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:Do you know you have vft flowers blooming?
I would give the fly traps and Sarracenia as much sun as they can get. For now I would not let them freeze, but put them outside on days above 50. It's really stressful for a fly trap to be flowering and not get enough light.
Your plants look pretty good but need more light.
Your intuition is right.
Yeah, the one opened and I pollinated it, the second one is different blooming now. My king Henry, two jaws plants, and purple ambush are also growing flower stalks. I have the grow lights on them, but they can't beat the sun. I think they'll go crazy when they start getting some steady sun. The lowest they'll ship is 38 to 39 degrees. I'll be only putting them out for a few hours even it's warmer, then they'll come back in under the lights. At least until temps stay above 45 at night.

By Cross
Mpott302 wrote:Hey Cross, look what I have for you!!

Yayyyyy ok, what can I exchange or give you for it. I may have a king Henry division. I'll have to look, but one of them is flowering right now, so I'll have to be extra careful.

By Mpott302
Cross wrote:

Yayyyyy ok, what can I exchange or give you for it. I may have a king Henry division. I'll have to look, but one of them is flowering right now, so I'll have to be extra careful.

I can send you this one and then you can wait until it’s safe to divide the king Henry or another plant. I prefer flytraps and neps so I’ll be happy with anything you have. I just don’t need any typical flytraps I have a ton
By Mpott302
Mpott302 wrote:
Cross wrote:

I can send you this one and then you can wait until it’s safe to divide the king Henry or another plant. I prefer flytraps and neps so I’d be happy with either of those. I just don’t need any typical flytraps I have a ton
By Cross
Mpott302 wrote:
Mpott302 wrote:
Cross wrote:Yayyyyy ok, what can I exchange or give you for it. I may have a king Henry division. I'll have to look, but one of them is flowering right now, so I'll have to be extra careful.

I can send you this one and then you can wait until it’s safe to divide the king Henry or another plant. I prefer flytraps and neps so I’d be happy with either of those. I just don’t need any typical flytraps I have a ton
I totally get it with the typicals. I've got three king Henry, and If he fooling me, I've got a jaws that I've been growing, which is also flowering. ImageImage

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!