FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Hello,
I've heard there are ways to reduce the amount of algae and cyanobacteria build up on Peat and sphagnum by rinsing it. I have had trouble with this in the past, particularly with starting plants by seed. Do any of you do anything to get prevent some of the sludge from forming on both mediums? Thanks.
By Cross
I haven't had a sludge and I just keep mine hanging round. I have heard some people kill their medium though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Doublebass1985
Generally it's caused from being too wet and not enough evaporation. You might be watering too much when u water instead of doing little bits at a time. Say u water once every two days but when u do water u pour a bunch on top so the moss is so soggy it's forms algae whereas if you watered like twice a day but in less amounts you won't have problems with the algae build up.
By Nightbreed
You soak it and squeeze it out really well several times. If you leave too much water or water too much you will have problems with algae sludge. Make sure you have good air flow to keep the surface from being to wet.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk
Nightbreed liked this
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Thanks for the responses everyone. I have rinsed my peat moss twice and will be using it for some seeds. Pouring out the used distilled water was painful though, but hopefully that and some increased circulation will get the slime off.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Seems it's usually just on top and if it dries out it basically is not a problem.
I had problems last year because we had the wettest year in NC history.
Algae comes from too wet and not enough air flow in the soil.
There is some advantage to peat sand and perlite because sludge isn't generally a issue.
I have been considering adding sand in with my lfsm. Right now the fly traps are growing only in lfsm. And I have even considered crushed perlite. Crushed because I don't really like perlite. But it works. I bought some vermiculite but I have not used it yet. I started my Sarracenia in peat sand and perlite and it's not mossy at all.
I want to try just silica sand and possibly a tiny amount of peat. Happy growing
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
I've been wondering the same thing. I like lfsm, but sometimes it's moisture fluctuation is tricky when watering. I used some perlite in some of it when I potted up my Nepenthes, but the watering hasn't significantly changed.
By Ericrud
I believe that some people microwave their peat moss prior to planting to kill off any bacteria/algae/critters that might live in it.
Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!