How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants
User Avatar
jasonh

 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:11 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by jasonh » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Samsung in-Flux series should be great if anyone wants to DIY grow lights. Pretty expensive strips though.

User Avatar
SundewWolf

 
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:38 pm
Thanked: 341 times in 309 posts

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by SundewWolf » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:50 pm

jasonh wrote:Samsung in-Flux series should be great if anyone wants to DIY grow lights. Pretty expensive strips though.


Which series? All I’m seeing that’s acceptable is the T series that can be tuned to 6500k
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

User Avatar
nimbulan

 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
Location: Oregon
Thanked: 473 times in 412 posts

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by nimbulan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:23 pm

SundewWolf wrote:
jasonh wrote:Samsung in-Flux series should be great if anyone wants to DIY grow lights. Pretty expensive strips though.


Which series? All I’m seeing that’s acceptable is the T series that can be tuned to 6500k

Why would you say that? A color temperature of 6500k isn't necessary or even ideal for indoor growing. I primarily use Samsung's H series strips myself @4000k, though I just bought some Q series as the cost has come down.

User Avatar
SundewWolf

 
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:38 pm
Thanked: 341 times in 309 posts

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by SundewWolf » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:58 pm

nimbulan wrote:Why would you say that? A color temperature of 6500k isn't necessary or even ideal for indoor growing. I primarily use Samsung's H series strips myself @4000k, though I just bought some Q series as the cost has come down.


A guy last week was telling me that anything under 6500K "severely reduces the usable light for the plants". I started this thread after buying 4000K 30W LED strips and being told they were completely useless, and I honestly don't know what each of the specifics need to be after hearing mixed advice for years.
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

User Avatar
nimbulan

 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
Location: Oregon
Thanked: 473 times in 412 posts

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by nimbulan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:58 am

SundewWolf wrote:
nimbulan wrote:Why would you say that? A color temperature of 6500k isn't necessary or even ideal for indoor growing. I primarily use Samsung's H series strips myself @4000k, though I just bought some Q series as the cost has come down.


A guy last week was telling me that anything under 6500K "severely reduces the usable light for the plants". I started this thread after buying 4000K 30W LED strips and being told they were completely useless, and I honestly don't know what each of the specifics need to be after hearing mixed advice for years.

Yeah that's complete BS. All visible light is usable by plants. I think most people get that idea into their head because 6500k is the approximate color temperature of sunlight and natural sunlight is obviously ideal. But when lacking the IR and UV components of the spectrum as is typically the case with artificial lights, it turns out that plants tend to grow a bit better (still not a large difference) with a lower color temperature.

The following users would like to thank nimbulan for this post
SundewWolf

User Avatar
SundewWolf

 
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:38 pm
Thanked: 341 times in 309 posts

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by SundewWolf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:08 am

Sounds good. In this case what I have should be fine and I'm throwing on the some of those amazon blue LED panels.
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

User Avatar
Doublebass1985

 
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:36 pm
Location: Puget sound, Washington
Thanked: 44 times in 36 posts

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by Doublebass1985 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:42 pm

Basically when it comes down to it everyone thinks their advice is the correct way and any other way is wrong or won't work. The only way to eliminate this is to experiment and try different setups for yourself I know that could be costly and possibly waste in money, but I guess proof can be shown in pictures with what color temperature can grow healthy plants. Pretty much you should be able to grow plants on any kind of lights except incadscents.

User Avatar
nimbulan

 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
Location: Oregon
Thanked: 473 times in 412 posts

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by nimbulan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:10 am

Doublebass1985 wrote:Basically when it comes down to it everyone thinks their advice is the correct way and any other way is wrong or won't work. The only way to eliminate this is to experiment and try different setups for yourself I know that could be costly and possibly waste in money, but I guess proof can be shown in pictures with what color temperature can grow healthy plants. Pretty much you should be able to grow plants on any kind of lights except incadscents.

The funny thing is, incandescents have the most natural light spectrum of any artificial lights. The only reason we don't use them is that the electrical efficiency is so poor (and they have a pretty short lifetime.) In an enclosed space they'd just cook your plants.

And you're absolutely right. People really do tend to get stuck with the "my way is the only way" idea. It's very rare for a grower to properly experiment to determine how much a particular light fixture (or any other aspect of cultivation) improves their plant health compared to another light. I personally just go based off scientific research I've read and aim for the highest electrical efficiency I can.

User Avatar
jasonh

 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:11 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by jasonh » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:44 pm

SundewWolf wrote:
jasonh wrote:Samsung in-Flux series should be great if anyone wants to DIY grow lights. Pretty expensive strips though.


Which series? All I’m seeing that’s acceptable is the T series that can be tuned to 6500k


H-inFlux; I think they are pretty much the old F series with LM301B, from 3000k to 5000k.

For now I'll stick with Bridgelux EB Gen 2s until the price of samsung strips go down a bit or EB gen 3 comes out :)

User Avatar
jasonh

 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:11 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by jasonh » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:26 pm

BTW Samsung just released their horticulture linear module a few month ago; haven't seen anyone selling those yet but most likely won't be cheap.

You can find the datasheet here:
https://cdn.samsung.com/led/file/resour ... ev.0.1.pdf

User Avatar
nimbulan

 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
Location: Oregon
Thanked: 473 times in 412 posts

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by nimbulan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:47 pm

jasonh wrote:BTW Samsung just released their horticulture linear module a few month ago; haven't seen anyone selling those yet but most likely won't be cheap.

You can find the datasheet here:
https://cdn.samsung.com/led/file/resour ... ev.0.1.pdf

Yeah I was going to mention those before but as they aren't available yet...not much we can do about it. I will be very curious about the pricing.

User Avatar
SundewWolf

 
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:38 pm
Thanked: 341 times in 309 posts

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by SundewWolf » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:45 am

So i have heard that the blue light is for vegetative growth and red for flowering for years now which made me think about getting pure blue LED panels for years, but after watching this video I may just go with those purple (red+Blue) lights everyone is getting instead of the pure blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwwLSgK-924
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

User Avatar
nimbulan

 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
Location: Oregon
Thanked: 473 times in 412 posts

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by nimbulan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:51 am

SundewWolf wrote:So i have heard that the blue light is for vegetative growth and red for flowering for years now which made me think about getting pure blue LED panels for years, but after watching this video I may just go with those purple (red+Blue) lights everyone is getting instead of the pure blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwwLSgK-924

Just ignore anything that talks about "veg" and "bloom" spectrums. Those were designed for marijuana growing where keeping the plants compact and maximizing flower mass are the intended goals. They were never meant for general plant growing.

User Avatar
SundewWolf

 
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:38 pm
Thanked: 341 times in 309 posts

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by SundewWolf » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:02 am

nimbulan wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:So i have heard that the blue light is for vegetative growth and red for flowering for years now which made me think about getting pure blue LED panels for years, but after watching this video I may just go with those purple (red+Blue) lights everyone is getting instead of the pure blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwwLSgK-924

Just ignore anything that talks about "veg" and "bloom" spectrums. Those were designed for marijuana growing where keeping the plants compact and maximizing flower mass are the intended goals. They were never meant for general plant growing.


Between the pure blue LED vs. the red & blue mix LED's which would be better though? Should I ignore the results in the video?
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

User Avatar
nimbulan

 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
Location: Oregon
Thanked: 473 times in 412 posts

Re: How big of a factor is the Wattage of LEDs?

by nimbulan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:12 am

SundewWolf wrote:
nimbulan wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:So i have heard that the blue light is for vegetative growth and red for flowering for years now which made me think about getting pure blue LED panels for years, but after watching this video I may just go with those purple (red+Blue) lights everyone is getting instead of the pure blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwwLSgK-924

Just ignore anything that talks about "veg" and "bloom" spectrums. Those were designed for marijuana growing where keeping the plants compact and maximizing flower mass are the intended goals. They were never meant for general plant growing.


Between the pure blue LED vs. the red & blue mix LED's which would be better though? Should I ignore the results in the video?

Well the results of that video are basically: Don't use solid blue. They have another video showing white and red/blue being about the same, so why opt for the weird colors?

PreviousNext

Return to Artificial Lighting

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests