FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
So I bought multiplication media to grow some vfts, sundews, sarrs (in time) and neps(in time). Any advice? I've included the specific items I bought. I'll have to buy actual baby food just for the jars, noone seems to sell them locally. How hard is it in all actuality, so I can be prepared for this? Thanks in advance. Now i just need to find some seeds.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Cross
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:Can you post a picture of the product you bought?
I feel dumb, the pictures didn't attach. Hang on. ImageImage

By FlyTrap Hunter
It seems to me you are trying to propogate plants?
There is a section for tissue culture and propogation.
Maybe post it over there or get a administrator to move the topic.
I grow through natural propogation with divisions and strikes. Works very well. In the right conditions they strike easily
By 1cashew
Cross you need to stop buying stuff I think and we need to talk about what you are trying to do. You are buying some material which I think is not necessary.
By Cross
1cashew wrote:Cross you need to stop buying stuff I think and we need to talk about what you are trying to do. You are buying some material which I think is not necessary.
I went off the list that Matt posted in his forum. I did buy some extra mm for neps and sarrs that phyto said would work for them. Which items did you think were unnecessary?

By 1cashew
Well, I do not know what list you are talking about (yet) but I would suspect for VFT seeds Matt is using a 1/2 or 1/3 MS media probably with vitamins. You do not buy the vitamins separately. You either buy the MS with vitamins or without. You do not buy vitamins. I have not done this for over ten years so I am quite rusty but I was planning to do some this year. So you do not have what you need to get started which is the MS. But perhaps they call it multiplication media now. So how are you planning to sterilize your equipment and seeds and how are you going to be manipulating all your supplies and seeds? A 30 gal aquarium? A pressure cooker? That is what I used.
By Cross
I do have mm with the vitamins and stuff for vfts and sundews. They recommended for sarra that I get the muri and then buy the vitamins on the side, but I'll do extra research on the side for first. I am going to use a pressure cooker for the sterilization. I also have a tote to create the hood and distilled water to use. I've not done it all. I tried striking, but I'm just terrible at it.

By 1cashew
Do you have a triple beam balance to weigh out the small amounts of material you will be using? You are going to be making batches of a cup or two at one time not liters. Carol Swift at Kithen Cultures was a great resource for me.
By Cross
1cashew wrote:Do you have a triple beam balance to weigh out the small amounts of material you will be using? You are going to be making batches of a cup or two at one time not liters. Carol Swift at Kithen Cultures was a great resource for me.
I'll have to check her out. I actually make soap so I have both a gram scale with an accuracy of .01g and a larger scale up to 12lbs.

By 1cashew
Well, sounds like you have a plan. You scared me! But you got this! Have fun. I need to get going on it myself.
By Cross
1cashew wrote:Well, sounds like you have a plan. You scared me! But you got this! Have fun. I need to get going on it myself.
Thanks lol. I have the detailed instructions I'll link them below. I've read a bit but it's a lot like riding my candy burnt orange motorcycle, you can read all you want, but until you nearly pancake into a truck you'll never truly know how to brake lol.

https://www.flytrapcare.com/tissue-culture-basics

By Cross
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:It seems to me you are trying to propogate plants?
There is a section for tissue culture and propogation.
Maybe post it over there or get a administrator to move the topic.
I grow through natural propogation with divisions and strikes. Works very well. In the right conditions they strike easily
I tried striking. ..it's just... i think there's something I'm missing. I tried, but they just never strike. I'm using lfsm, wetter than normal conditions, lots of light. I wish I could have stuck, but I just fail at it.

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!