FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By equiraptor
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forums, don't yet have any carnivorous plants, and am working on developing a collection of houseplants. I'd like to add some carnivorous plants to the mix, but I realize most don't do well inside. I'm here to try to learn which plants are most likely to work and what sort of steps I'd need to take to care for them.

Of greatest interest to me is getting some carnivorous plants to put in my kitchen. This'd mean south facing windowsills, uncovered, at a relatively low latitude (29ºN). As far as light goes, plants that want "part shade to full sun" seem to do well in these windows. Supplemental light in this area isn't really an option, but I could rotate plants to the guest room where I do have the option of grow lights.

I know humidity is a concern with carnivorous plants, too. In winter, the indoor relative humidity will drop to around 45%, while in summer it's around 60%. The plants would be near the kitchen sink, which I imagine would help, and be around/between other plants. If added humidity is needed, I'd prefer putting the plants on a tray with rocks and water, rather than a terrarium / covering.

It'd be great if the plant(s) caught some of the small flies hanging around my houseplants, too, though I don't expect carnivorous plants to be a fly control solution.

What species would be best to try for this? Sundews appeal to me the most, I think, but I don't know what the likelihood of survival and of thriving is, given the environment I'd provide. I like pitcher plants, too, but they don't seem fitting for a windowsill. Unfortunately, my high-light indoor places are mostly limited to windowsills, but if any pitcher plants will survive outside in USDA hardiness zone 9a, they might go outside.

Am I a fool for even considering this? Or does some carnivorous plant have a chance in my kitchen?

Thanks!

Edit: I have a reverse osmosis filter that I can use for watering the plants, so at least that aspect is covered!
By SundewWolf
You might be able to get away with a Drosera capensis or Drosera spatulata growing on the windowsill. Some butterworts would also work. I always encourage to keep them under some grownlights though. They get much better growth that way. If you have the option I would just do that.

Humidity is not really a huge concern for some of the easy species. Trays with rocks can release minerals, but they are completely pointless anyways since “humidity trays” don’t work. To raise an entire room’s humidity you will need more than just some trays under the plants. But like I said just don’t worry about it.

You mention wanting to grow pitcher plants outside in zone 9a. Do you mean nepenthes or are you also interested in Sarracenia?
SundewWolf liked this
By equiraptor
Thanks for the information and the suggestions.
SundewWolf wrote:You might be able to get away with a Drosera capensis or Drosera spatulata growing on the windowsill. Some butterworts would also work. I always encourage to keep them under some grownlights though. They get much better growth that way. If you have the option I would just do that.
I can't have them under the grow lights and on the windowsill - there just isn't enough space. And I'd like to walk into my kitchen and see them. I can have a few and rotate them between the kitchen and guest room. And I understand they'd need not harsh differences between the two. I really like the look of Drosera spatulata, so I might give that a try (and if I have to "give up" and keep them in the guest room under the grow light instead of rotating rooms, so be it).
SundewWolf wrote:You mention wanting to grow pitcher plants outside in zone 9a. Do you mean nepenthes or are you also interested in Sarracenia?
I've read that Sarracenia can live outside year round in Houston - petflytrap.com says they keep some outside year round, and their location will have harsher environmental swings than mine (they're in a suburb, I'm in the middle of the city, and I'd put them in a protected courtyard). I know they need humidity, but it's a swamp here (even in the courtyard). I can give them light, humidity, and lots of rain, they'd just get cold in winter. I'm a little less excited about that, as I wouldn't get to see them every day while I was cooking, but it'd still be neat/interesting.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Howdy neighbor. I’m right down I10 by Beaumont. You can successfully grow some sundews and most Mexican Pinguicula in a South window. Sarracenia can stay outside year round there. I have a bunch that stay out all year.

You should definitely go see Mike at Peyflytrap out in spring. They have a wonder greenhouse full of great plants. And Mike and Stephanie are awesome. Very knowledgeable and willing to help with any questions you have.

Also if you have Facebook check out our Texas Carnivorous Plants Group. Many very knowledgeable growers willing to share information and plants with others in our great state.
By equiraptor
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:You should definitely go see Mike at Peyflytrap out in spring. They have a wonder greenhouse full of great plants. And Mike and Stephanie are awesome. Very knowledgeable and willing to help with any questions you have.
I spoke to Stephanie on the phone last week. She sounded super enthusiastic, and I'm glad to hear more positive things about her and Mike. I'm planning on buying from them, with local pickup, but have to have time to do it! I work downtown, and this weekend I'm out in Angleton at the racetrack all day both days.
By equiraptor
I picked up my first set of carnivorous plants from PetFlyTrap today! Unfortunately Mike and Stephanie were at an event at the zoo that ran over, but I still looked around the greenhouse. Their Nepenthes are so impressive and fascinating - so many different pitcher shapes, sizes, etc. I came home today with two Sarracenia purpurea 'Venosa Red', two Drosera spatulata, and an extra Drosera capensis.

Together on the kitchen table before sending them to their homes:

Drosera spatulata on the window:

Drosera capensis on the window:

Drosera spatulata under the grow light (grow light off):

The grow light is not the most powerful, but it is moderately close to the plant. I'll compare the progress of the spatula in the window to the one under the grow light and adjust lighting as needed. The saucers have RO water in them. Cross your fingers for me!
Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!