FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By FlyTrap Hunter
I have managed to grow this Darlingtonia Californica from seed. And I am surprised to have kept it alive. I think one seedling dried out and died.
I started it in a terrarium with shredded, live lfsm. Last Summer I put it outside in the terrarium and let it got morning light and shade in the afternoon. We have night time dips into the low 70s in the Summer here in NC. I just repotted it into a 3.5 inch pot. I plan to keep it in a similar situation and add a tray of water. Proud to have kept it alive here in NC. Thanks Whatsgrowingon
DC 1 yr old
DC 1 yr old
Effect_20190306_180003.jpg (319.42 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
DC sunset
DC sunset
Effect_20190306_180501.jpg (181.21 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
By CpKid
Really nice, and congratulations! I've always liked those, I kinda want to try one my self and see if I can get it through dormancy ;)
CpKid liked this
By camsdad66
Nice work Flytrap Hunter!
Wish you the best with Darlingtonia, it's a tough one to grow, especially in the Southern states. I have tried them many times since I was a kid in the mid 70s, and recently. Just too heartbreaking to see a beautiful plant like that die. Really hope you succeed, keep us posted!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter
Note:
I did keep it in a West facing window over the Winter and it survived just fine.
And I am going to be optimistic about these because they came from plants that were growing outside in Florida. If what'sgrowingon can grow them in Florida, I am going to at least try outside.
If it doesn't survive, I plan on adding some grow lights inside and start a small inside grow room
By camsdad66
Best of luck with it. You seem to be off to a great start. I would love to know what techniques whatsgrowingon uses to grow them outside in Florida. My "success" was very limited. I got some nice healthy plants and some stolon root from Phil Golding. Some of the plants made it through a couple of growing seasons, but we had an early hot spell in spring and that did them in I guess. Was kind of a bummer! I probably won't try to grow them again, but you never know. Keep us posted on their progress please.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!