FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By renesis
Not so much good news this time guys. Been away at school for a longer period than normal, and my caretakers allowed a bit of a mini-drought, so some plants dropped a lot of leaves to weather the storm. Fortunately, most survived, some started kicking into survival mode and multiplied, The big nep killed a couple of its pitchers, and looks like the remaining ones are ready to go as well. I think everything will survive though.

Unfortunately, my delayed absence means my VFTs are going to have a bit slower move into dormancy as well - though they seem to be growing lower to the ground now, especially comparing to the old pics - but again, that might have been the drought they experience a couple weeks back. My plan is to move them out of this tank, and into my old small terr , and put them on a reducing photoperiod- and then put the whole tank in the garage or basement.

Also, I took these pics after I cleaned up the dead stuff!

First heli pitcher to grow under my (lack of) care! Glad to see its happy looking, and got the nice red colouration!

D.burmanii Red Giant in front, and possibly my current favourite drosera - D. paradoxa in the back.

VFT 'typical' patch, growing down low - possibly due to the low turgor pressure it experienced. Split off 2 small divisions since I last saw it.

VFT 'akai ryu' - Had to cut off a lot of black traps from this poor guy, looking a little bit bare now.

Crazy P.weser! I think it panicked and went into make babies mode!

P. pirouette in front, and P. laueana in the back

Sad looking N.ventrata, the pic actually hides a lot of the damage evident on the leaf and the sag in the pitchers.

VFT seedling

I want to say its a D. coccicalis or something like that...I'd have to check my map to confirm!

And I want to say this very dewy guy is D. sp. 'cuba'

D. adelae exploded with growth! So many leaves!

Baby nep in the back, I think one of my seedlings are underneath the D. adelae leaf as well.

Air plant making a baby!

VFT 'Big Mouth'

Small P. pirouette next to VFT 'akai ryu'

Just to show what goes on when I clean out the tank, this haul was a bit more than usual though...

Current overall.

Bonus pics:

Big P.pirouette

VFTs - cross teeth, pink venus, and red pirahna

VFT dente - Hopefully these start going to sleep soon- all been on the window sill

P. weser and P. lauaena pullings !

In vivo - Nep seedlings

Various VFT pullings, red pirahna, cross teeth, and big mouth I believe.

New batch of recruits more than eager to take the spots of their fallen comrades in the terrarium! Cannot remember what these are, again will have to check my notes.

Hope you enjoyed!
renesis, renesis liked this
By lemonlily
I like the colour of your Dente. Mine has different colour on it. But I like your plant's colour more.
Last edited by lemonlily on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Pikkie
Wow!! Very nice indeed. First time I see something like this. My other hobby is Planted Aquariums so I love this obviously. All the colours look amazing really ;)
By renesis
Thanks everyone!
manzano167 wrote:Wow their amazing one question how did u made the pulling strike?
Both the VFT and ping pullings, I just left on dead LFS, moist, and in a seedling tray for lots of humidity. This has worked the best for me so far, almost 80%+ rate I would say.
Matt wrote:I'd say that the drought wasn't that severe rensis. Your plants still look awesome!
Yeah, maybe I'm being a bit dramatic, but its really obvious in the VFTs- look at this older pic here:

Once they go out, probably later today or tomorrow - I'm replacing them with some droseras and another heli I have suffering upstairs in a ziploc bag. Next year, I'll place some of the smaller ones in and let them grow again.
jenis wrote:Wow! Beautifull!
Could you tell me what that cute little flower like plant is in the second photo?
I think you are looking at the Drosera paradoxa? Its currently my favourite sundew! Looks a lot different than most of them.

Thanks again for all the comments everyone!
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!