FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By t9gear
Thanks for the detailed explanation. With pictures. I have the sun blaster t5ho. Let’s hope they work as well as the led version you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Jagasian
t9gear wrote:Thanks for the detailed explanation. With pictures. I have the sun blaster t5ho. Let’s hope they work as well as the led version you have

My PAR meter says that the Sunblaster LED puts out 2.3 times as much light as the T5HO. So you will need approximately five T5HO blubs to get the same intensity of light. The reason most people see inferior results when growing fly traps indoors is likely insufficient light.
By stevelau1911
Given that you give yours near optimal light, consistent feeding, and watering, I can see why in just under 4 months, your plant has literally increased it's mass almost 10 times. Given the Hawaii climate, I'm hoping to get mine to your's size and crowding out the pot by the end of this year before putting them into dormancy.

I went in another direction since I wanted to get my pot filled out quickly so decided to split my fly trap up into many pieces, and I am quite satisfied with the results after a little bit over a month. In the overall picture, they do not look like much, but there are about a dozen growth points now, most of the leaf pullings are making strikes and seeing how my dcxl which is 5 weeks ahead looks, my SD kronos will have lots of little plants with functioning traps already in about a month from now. The only piece I do not believe will strike is perhaps the flower stalk, but there's still a chance.

It does work to separate a large strike which has lots of rhizome and roots attached from it's other part given both of them have roots, and since there's active growth on the bottom part, it should only take it about a week to strike again.
Bottom part

Top part

2 trap piece of rhizome striking, should have open new traps in 1-2 weeks

Other strikes should take 4-5 weeks from now to put out functioning traps, and the amount of stored energy plus amount of leaf for photosynthesis determines how big the traps will be.

This is the DCXL which is about 5 weeks ahead of the SD Kronos, and it started out with just about the same amount of plant mass, yet they look amazing. It's just that most of the traps are almost always closed because they catch so many bugs on their own.
By stevelau1911
I think its better to have a comparison of progress instead of 2 different SD Kronos threads. I also want to eventually see if both of us have the same thing since mine still hasnt shown the purplish coloration.

It looks like lots of traps were just produced very recently on the time lapse so it will be interesting to see if it keeps up that growth rate. How big are the traps?
By Jagasian
I am ok with comparisons of different SD Kronos plants and setups in this thread.

To get the deep red coloration, two factors are important: (1) light intensity, and (2) number of hours of intense light per day.

I noticed my Kronos turn deep reds when the light intensity or PAR was above 400 PPFD for 16 hours per day, but at lower PAR, I was still able to get deep reds if I had the lights on for 20 hours per day.

Growing under more than 16 hours of light per day helps, but only if you do it for a few months. After that, you will need to return to 16 hours per day. Otherwise the plant starts to suffer from insufficient dark hours, which causes the green parts of the plant to turn yellow.
New 7.1 inch diameter self watering pot.
New 7.1 inch diameter self watering pot.
04CECEB4-19FF-494E-A9D2-76558272D6DE.jpeg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 4984 times
Regarding trap size, the original growth point is producing huge traps approximately 2 inches in size. These huge traps take a very long time to turn deep red. The second growth point is producing 1.5 inch traps, which are big. The other growth points are producing small traps, though big compared to other flytrap cultivars.
By t9gear
Did you see a difference when growing in LFS versus the regular peat/pearl/sand?

Or did you always only grow in LFS?

By Jagasian
t9gear wrote:Did you see a difference when growing in LFS versus the regular peat/pearl/sand?

Or did you always only grow in LFS?

I always grow in long fiber sphagnum. Using peat is unethical as it destroys bogs, preventing new sphagnum from regrowing. Long fiber sphagnum can be harvested in a sustainable way that does not permanently damage the bog.
By stevelau1911
long fiber spaghnum is probably the best medium that holds onto moisture,amd has the best aeration. Ive thought about growing my own, but not sure if it can handle Hawaii sun which lasts around 14 hours a day at this time of the year.Sounds like SD Kronos does get big fast and consistently makes big traps so later in summer if they really get to 1.5 inch traps, then they will already be very crowded. So far the first traps these divisions have made are close to 1/2 inch and i like feeding them green moth caterpillars since they are easy to handle and never escape.

I got a bag of freeze dried blood worms too, but since it doesnt move, the traps often dont commit to eating it and ends up drying up so i only use it for traps too small for insects.
By Jagasian
There is a sphagnum palustre plant that has been growing in the wild in Hawaii for 50000 years.
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/new ... t-science/

http://www.indefenseofplants.com/blog/2 ... aiian-moss

This plant has invaded other islands because some people brought bits and pieces over. Hawaii has many microclimates so it will depend on where you try to grow exactly. Sphagnum’s main requirement is moisture. With enough moisture, it can handle high temperatures and intense light.
By stevelau1911
Jagaison, have your traps gotten even bigger now? Mine are finally starting to make traps breaking the 1 inch mark so if they follow the same growth as the DCXL, the SD Kronos should have lots of traps well over 1 inch in another month.

By yardleyq1987
I am also curious about updates on Kronos.. I'm about just about to bite the bullet on this.
By Jagasian
I have been growing the young SD Kronos for one year now and it has split itself into 20 clones. It grows so fast indoors under LED grow lights, that I am running out of space! I went through an entire bottle of dried blood worms over the past year. Luckily they are only around $5 a bottle. Each week about 50 new traps grow and need to be fed. It takes me about an hour to feed each trap. I have started to slow down the feeding because they are simply growing too fast and I do not have the space for so many SD Kronos sized flytraps. Here are pics of one of my grow setups that contains only the clones of my one SD Kronos plant from last year.

SD Kronos is highly recommended, if you want extra large traps and fast growth.
EC48A096-A875-4E07-8C8A-CF2F5FD47566.jpeg
EC48A096-A875-4E07-8C8A-CF2F5FD47566.jpeg (3.1 MiB) Viewed 4360 times
By t9gear
They look great I think you sold me some are there anymore for sale?

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!