FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By CpKid
Hello Everyone,
So, I'm pretty new to Mexican butterworts, and was wondering if and how I could take leaf cuttings from non-dormant P. Moranensis. Could I just pull some of and put them on peat or some other substance? Also, sorry for the dumb question, but could P. Moranensis do ok in typical cp mix, as I don't have any other soil ingredients.
Thanks all!
By ChefDean
I, too, am brand new to Mexican pings, having just received my first one from hollyhock recently. However, in transit, one leaf fell off and I put it with the broken end just barely under the surface of the media. Much to my surprise, seeing as how I'm a complete novice with pings, I now have two strikes coming up from it. Knock yourself out, good luck.
Last edited by ChefDean on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChefDean liked this
By CpKid
Thanks for this info! I think I'll try that with a leaf or two. How long did it take for the first sprout to pop up?
By ChefDean
Both strikes came up about the same time. I received Pinguin (my daughters name for it) on December 13, 2018, and noticed the strikes about 2 weeks ago, so about 4 to 5 weeks for them to show.
I have mine in a mix of 3:3:1 mix of perlite, vermiculite, and peat, not regular cp mix, and she's doing great. It helps that Hollyhock takes really good care of her plants.
By CpKid
Thanks! That's pretty fast compared to some other cp's I've started from cuttings. I may be able to mix up a Mexican ping soil concoction with some sand & peat. I also have a bit of orchid bark, do you think that would be ok to lighten the soil?
By ChefDean
CpKid wrote:Thanks! That's pretty fast compared to some other cp's I've started from cuttings. I may be able to mix up a Mexican ping soil concoction with some sand & peat. I also have a bit of orchid bark, do you think that would be ok to lighten the soil?
I really don't know about all the combinations of soil mixtures that would work. I read up on how to care for them on many different sites, including this forum, and used the mixture I did because that's what I had. I do know that vermiculite isn't the best as it tends to break down into a mush over time, so I'll either have to get something else or plan on repotting more frequently. Sand would likely be a much better option as it won't break down like vermiculite.
Ask more questions, hopefully someone with more, and possibly better, knowledge can give you some advice.
By jeff
Bonjour

you can use also no substrate it is very easier .

you just take a box of the food style with lid, you put in the bottom a damp absorbent paper, you put your leave on the paper, you close your box and you wait, good light and 20-22 ° c , paper always damp.
it is necessary to wait before putting it in a substratum that the mother leaf is completely dry (that is to say that the buds have absorbed all the nutritive substances)
jeff liked this
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!