carnivorous orchid, Aracamunia liesneri

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants
Gry

carnivorous orchid, Aracamunia liesneri

by Gry » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:36 pm

I have been searching for seeds from this plant for a long time. Does anyone know where I can find seeds of this specific orchid? Carnivore or not, I want to have a look at it myself.
I may seem grumpy. I'm not. I'm just very critical about subjects I have tested and fiddled with myself. I'm always open to advice, but don't try to force me.

tannerm

Re: carnivorous orchid, Aracamunia liesneri

by tannerm » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:12 pm

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5967.html

I didn't think any were actually carnivorous?

- Forum Admin (sent from my iPhone)

w03

by w03 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:44 pm

AFAIK this species has only been collected once ever and is most definitely not in cultivation...
"Potential has a shelf life."
-Margaret Atwood
My Growlist: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/w03-s-tiny-growlist-t26123.html

Benurmanii

by Benurmanii » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:40 am

I would always challenge the possibility of an orchid being carnivorous. Why bother making a flower stalk just to end up eating the pollinators? It is a good looking orchid either way, but I don't have the tastes to really get excited about one orchid over another.

Of course, there is the case of Stylidium debile, but orchids are not so prolific, and as far as I know, need cross polination, so it would not be in favor of the orchid to have carnivorous flowers.

SFLguy

by SFLguy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:14 am

To grow an orchid from seed, you'd need to use tc, if not you'd need the specific fungus it requires to germinate which changes from species to species. Although orchids are not carnivorous they are starting to be considered predatory regardless. This is because to germinate, it needs to consume a fungus (and continues to do so after germination) this fungus doesn't gain anything from the interaction.
Many orchids are self compatible but even if each orchid can produce 100k to 1 million seeds per seed pod, only about 1 in 3 mil will land on the fungus and germinate
[Insert motivational quote here]
Oh and here's The Growlist

The following users would like to thank SFLguy for this post
iamjacksplants

Nauz

by Nauz » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:10 am

SFLguy wrote:To grow an orchid from seed, you'd need to use tc, if not you'd need the specific fungus it requires to germinate which changes from species to species. Although orchids are not carnivorous they are starting to be considered predatory regardless. This is because to germinate, it needs to consume a fungus (and continues to do so after germination) this fungus doesn't gain anything from the interaction.
Many orchids are self compatible but even if each orchid can produce 100k to 1 million seeds per seed pod, only about 1 in 3 mil will land on the fungus and germinate

Wow, did not know that.

xr280xr
Super User

by xr280xr » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:49 pm

w03 wrote:AFAIK this species has only been collected once ever and is most definitely not in cultivation...

Looks like it is somewhere. Found this on pinterest:
...unless that's the one collected plant.
My GrowList

Wanted:
S. leuco "H.C. White"
D. muscipula: "Microdent", "Dentate"
C. follicularis: Hummer's Giant

evenwind

by evenwind » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:30 pm

I think that pic may have been mis-labeled. That looks like some kind of Coryanthes (Bucket Orchid). The only image I could find shows it as a pseudobulb-less miniature...
Attachments
Aracamunia liesneri Type a..jpg
Aracamunia liesneri Type a..jpg (71.64 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned." - Richard Feynman

The following users would like to thank evenwind for this post
xr280xr

SFLguy

by SFLguy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:00 pm

Yeah that orchid looks like Coryanthes to me as well, Aracamunia is a small terrestrial

SFLguy

by SFLguy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Aracamunia is in the Spiranthes family

Dewy the Sundew

by Dewy the Sundew » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:54 am

Benurmanii wrote:I would always challenge the possibility of an orchid being carnivorous. Why bother making a flower stalk just to end up eating the pollinators? It is a good looking orchid either way, but I don't have the tastes to really get excited about one orchid over another.

Of course, there is the case of Stylidium debile, but orchids are not so prolific, and as far as I know, need cross polination, so it would not be in favor of the orchid to have carnivorous flowers.

I have a stylidium debile, what about it? The supplier told me it isn't carnivorous, but the small tentacles with dew behind the flowers have chemicals in it to digest small bugs which have been caught just like a sundew. Still not sure if this is to prevent pests or its just straight up carnivory.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
#DewySundews.
Mainly grows drosera but also grows various other carnivorous plants and none carnivorous plants. :D

Benurmanii

by Benurmanii » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:33 pm

Dewy the Sundew wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:I would always challenge the possibility of an orchid being carnivorous. Why bother making a flower stalk just to end up eating the pollinators? It is a good looking orchid either way, but I don't have the tastes to really get excited about one orchid over another.

I have a stylidium debile, what about it? The supplier told me it isn't carnivorous, but the small tentacles with dew behind the flowers have chemicals in it to digest small bugs which have been caught just like a sundew. Still not sure if this is to prevent pests or its just straight up carnivory.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk

Well, generally, for something to be carnivorous it needs to meet three criteria: speciallized structures for trapping, means of digestion, and nutrient pathways (absorbtion). Stylidium matches the first two, but I have yet to read or hear anything about their means of absorbing nutrients.

Cephalotus9

by Cephalotus9 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:59 am

Every carnivorous plant species I can think of produces flowers in addition to the various structures used to capture prey. The protuberances on A. liesneri (main drawing and figure C on the illustration) are what make the plant interesting, as some have speculated that they might be used to trap small insects (similar to the way a Drosera species would). Whether or not this is true remains to be determined. Like many members of Cranichideae, A. liesneri produces small (mostly white, if I remember correctly) flowers that aren't showy like most cultivated orchid species (figure D). I too would love to try my hand at growing this species, but it's true that it has only been collected once. Worse yet, there are no photos of it on the internet (trust me, I've been thorough).

jeff

by jeff » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:34 am

Bonjour

for this orchid see here :http://www.epidendra.org/taxones/Aracamunia/Aracamunia%20liesneri/Aracamunia%20liesneri%20PROT.pdf.

may be to learn more ask the missouri garden

Well, generally, for something to be carnivorous it needs to meet three criteria: speciallized structures for trapping, means of digestion, and nutrient pathways (absorbtion). Stylidium matches the first two, but I have yet to read or hear anything about their means of absorbing nutrients.

BENURMANII see the DARNOWSKI book on the triggerplants you have the answer , they have digestive enzyme ,but may be not on all the genus ;) .

King Drosophyllum VI

by King Drosophyllum VI » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:43 am

If you want a carnivorous orchid the only thing I can recommend is a epiphitic Utricularia. They look a lot like orchids but aren't.

Return to All other Carnivorous Plants/General CP Discussions