How long do I keep my plant in dormancy

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps
Soy Sauce

How long do I keep my plant in dormancy

by Soy Sauce » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:38 pm

I put my Venus in dormancy around December and I don't know when I should take it out of dormancy. I thought that dormancy should be about 3 months for Venus flytraps but I want to be sure.

SundewWolf

Re: How long do I keep my plant in dormancy

by SundewWolf » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:10 pm

3 months sounds good. Mine grow outdoors so they experience almost the same temperatures as it is outside and therefore they won't be awake and growing until April. If you want to set up grow lights indoors you could easily take them out of dormancy now with no problems.
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

Cross

by Cross » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:51 pm

I've already started to take mine out of dormancy. I use led lights and just changed the time in which they wake up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Soy Sauce

by Soy Sauce » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:34 pm

what if i don't have lights available and cant buy any

SundewWolf

by SundewWolf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Then I would keep it in dormancy until the weather outside is warm.
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

bananaman

by bananaman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 pm

If you don’t have growlights, I agree that you should let it stay dormant until the spring. Because of my climate, my flytraps naturally begin to wake up around this time of year, but we also have an earlier spring than most parts of the US (average temperatures this time of year are like 65 day/45 night).

The actual waking up process is quite gradual — it takes a few weeks for them to really get going. They start resuming growth now, but fairly slowly. By mid March, they’re usually growing quite fast and putting out good sized traps.

Once your area starts to warm up for the spring is when you should take them out. Glancing at your average temps, I’d guess late April would be an OK time to bring them out.

Big-Jack

by Big-Jack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:58 pm

I just let mine awaken naturally on the windowsill behind a closed shade so they stay cool. No grow lights to mess with their internal clock. Spring growth is my favorite. I love that fresh waxy green look when the new traps start unfurling.

Photo Synthesis

by Photo Synthesis » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:49 am

As long as your flytraps stay on the cool side, they would most certainly benefit from receiving light. Because even though flytraps are "dormant" and not actively growing, they can still photosynthesize energy from either sunlight or a grow light (that doesnt emit heat). Then, when spring rolls around and the weather warms up, they will use all of that stored energy to burst forth with even more traps.

Now, they will still do fine being shaded, but when you think about flytraps in their natural habitat, they still get lots of sunlight during the winter months, even though it's cold out and they're not actively growing. I keep mine on a windowsill in my unheated garage during the winter.

Another benefit of giving the some sunlight throughout the winter is that when spring finally rolls around and you move them back outdoors, the transition will be much easier on them since they already been exposed to the winter sun.

bananaman

by bananaman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:01 am

A secondary benefit to giving flytraps loads of light in the winter is that most flytraps color up much better when it’s chilly then when it’s warm. My flytraps are usually at their most colorful in December and January.

Return to Venus Fly Trap Care Questions