FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By javaliz59
I have some VFT seeds in my frig. I'm in California zone 10 I believe. When is the best time to plant? I have NZLFSM. Best to use I assume?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By Ella
If you are starting them indoors, then I don't think that there is really any best time to plant, but in the wild, VFTs release seeds in the spring.
I think LFSM is usually the best choice for flytrap.
By Photo Synthesis
The last time I germinated and grew seedlings, it was around this time of year. But I don't really think it matters what time of the year, just as long as their proper conditions are met.

For mine, I used 50% silica sand, and 50% peat moss, which is the same mix that I use for my adult flytraps. The only difference being that I kept the pot inside of a slightly larger plastic bucket filled with water almost up to the soil line. I also used a clear plastic film with an elastic rubber band around the edge of it to keep the seedlings covered. They sell these covers next to the Ziploc bags and other similar items like them. Then I kept the pot in a warm location where the temperature stays around 80°F.

I checked on them daily, mainly to open the cover and provide them with fresh air. I also made sure to change the water roughly every other day or so. Doing this, I think I had a 100% germination rate. Once they began growing, I moved the pot to under a grow light. While the grow light was on, I still kept them covered up. But then I'd remove the cover at at night to gradually harden them off without the risk of them drying out. Once they got big enough, I removed the pot from the bucket of water, but I still kept the potting mix from drying out by watering them daily and keeping the clear plastic cover over them during the daytime. This is why I prefer growing them under a grow light. They get the light they desperately need, while its much easier to regulate the conditions they need to survive.

Needless to say that it was a labor of love, but most definitely a fascinating experience. Also, baby flytraps are the cutest things ever, lol.
By Photo Synthesis
I dug through my old photos and found some I took of my baby flytraps. I remember being obsessed with them; checking them out on a daily basis...
Attachments:
DSC00796.JPG
DSC00796.JPG (147.42 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
This little red one looked like it had fused teeth on its traps...
This little red one looked like it had fused teeth on its traps...
DSC00720.JPG (2.2 MiB) Viewed 2215 times
Just munching on some grains of sand...
Just munching on some grains of sand...
DSC00658.JPG (2.15 MiB) Viewed 2215 times
DSC00704.JPG
DSC00704.JPG (2.35 MiB) Viewed 2215 times
By javaliz59
I planted the VFT seeds 2 weeks ago. These do not look like baby VFT's to me. Am I right?ImageImage

By javaliz59
Reputable general nursery I've purchased from before.

What are these?

By SundewWolf
In that case they may just be some weeds from seeds that were in the sphagnum, and the really sprouts will appear in a few weeks. I kind of hate LFS for VFT seeds though if it's not very compact... they can fall down deeper into it and have problems sprouting vs. if they were a cm or 2 under some peat.
By javaliz59
SundewWolf wrote:In that case they may just be some weeds from seeds that were in the sphagnum, and the really sprouts will appear in a few weeks. I kind of hate LFS for VFT seeds though if it's not very compact... they can fall down deeper into it and have problems sprouting vs. if they were a cm or 2 under some peat.
Actually it's mostly peat moss perlite mix with a little LFSM on top. I just keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens. Thank you though.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!