FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DragonsEye
So anyone else out there using their refrigerator to over winter sarrs? (Nothing survives the winter outside on my unsheltered 3rd floor balcony.) Curious as to when folks take them out of the fridge for them to start waking up.

By Huntsmanshorn
For hardy Sarrs, like ssp. purpurea, I never worried too much and just threw them out in April sometime (zone 5) but for the more sensitive types, like rosea, I always wait until the beginning of May. It kind of sucks though, because the more southerly plants seem to prefer a longer growing season so waiting until May doesn't seem to be entirely beneficial, but unless you have room to start them earlier inside, what are you going to do?
By DeaNyx420
Huntsmanshorn wrote:For hardy Sarrs, like ssp. purpurea, I never worried too much and just threw them out in April sometime (zone 5) but for the more sensitive types, like rosea, I always wait until the beginning of May. It kind of sucks though, because the more southerly plants seem to prefer a longer growing season so waiting until May doesn't seem to be entirely beneficial, but unless you have room to start them earlier inside, what are you going to do?
I'm in Zone 5a and have had my Sarrs in fridge dormancy since 11-7-18. We are still dipping into single digits/negative temps and likely will for a while. Is it possible to start bring my Sarrs out of dormancy by placing them in my indoor greenhouse? Just until it warms up enough outside as I also have a few rosea and would like to avoid taking away from their grow season as much as possible. I was hoping that might be a way around waiting until May to bring the more sensitive ones out.Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!