FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
So how do you guys do it? I'm happy to share my technique but with 50+ plants I'm always looking for faster, easier, better ways of feeding them.

Right now, I start off with Betta pellets and reduce them to powder with a pill crusher. I take a needle-nose tweezer with the jaws held closed and dip it into the mound of powder - which results in a small amount of food balanced on top of the closed jaws. Then it's just holding the closed jaws over the hungry leaves and letting them open. The food drops in a fairly controlled manner, the spread determined by the height of the tweezer. I can usually do my collection in ten minutes or so.

Anybody else?
By Painley
I use duluted maxsea. I have a blunt tip syring I use to put little drops onto the leaves.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
By KategoricalKarnivore
Maxsea at 1 tablespoon per gallon dripped on about half the leaves of each plant with an eye dropper, once a week.
By evenwind
My problem with a liquid is keeping it on the leaves. If the leaf isn't somewhat close to horizontal, the drop runs off and fertilizes the invasive moss underneath. Do you guys only feed the horizontal leaves or am I missing something?
By Painley
evenwind wrote:My problem with a liquid is keeping it on the leaves. If the leaf isn't somewhat close to horizontal, the drop runs off and fertilizes the invasive moss underneath. Do you guys only feed the horizontal leaves or am I missing something?
The syringe gives me small enough drops that I have never had an issue with them running. It gives you pretty good control of what's happening

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
By KategoricalKarnivore
Some runs off but it usually stays put pretty well. My eye dropper puts out pretty small drops as well.
By evenwind
I used a pipette (which is supposed to have a "standard sized" drop) but had a lot of runoff. I guess I should give it another try.

Meanwhile, anybody else using solid food?
By twitcher
I use frozen fruit flies. I culture them and feed to fish and plants. Excess from the culture goes into zip bags in the freeze. Always have a small cup of defrosted flies sitting beside the plants for convenient feeding. A dental pic tip touched to water and then the flies grabs a fly or two which is then touched to dew on the ping.
By Huntsmanshorn
I feed mine by either spraying the leaves with Maxsea, watering via the tray method with Maxsea and/or by fungus gnat, all work pretty well.
By promethean_spark
I use a toothpick moist w ping or sundew slime, to get freeze dried bloodworms out of their can and put them on the leaves. No need to rehydrate for pings, sundews or vfts.
I'd go maxsea route if I were worried about them being photogenic...
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!