Fun with Depth-of-Field

Ask questions and share knowledge about cameras and photographic technique
evenwind

Fun with Depth-of-Field

by evenwind » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:45 pm

There was time, many decades ago, when I could be found walking thru the woods with a Nikon FTn and a shoulder-mounted, manual, 400mm f8 lens, looking for birds to annoy. I'd like to think that I knew a bit about photography back then, especially about the shutter speed/f-stop/depth-of-field compromise. These days, if I'm not taking pics of the family, I'm taking pics of my plants. And I'm using a "simple" point-and-shoot camera. I've been wasting a lot of virtual film trying to get whole flowers in focus in Macro mode. I was recently looking thru my camera (Olympus TG-4) manual for I forget what and came across a pretty neat feature. You can set it in a version of Macro mode that automatically takes multiple pics at slightly different focal points and then "magically" combines them into one pic with what amounts to a deep depth-of-field. You wind up with two pics - the original and the processed one. I kinda wish that I'd bothered to read about this feature when I first got the camera but reading the manual is for losers, right? And there are probably other point-and-shoots out there with something similar - maybe it's even a common feature? Anyhow, RTFM!
Attachments
P1250002.JPG
finished, adjusted, product
P1250002.JPG (86.29 KiB) Viewed 93 times
P1250001a.JPG
un-adjusted "normal" depth-of-field
P1250001a.JPG (119.66 KiB) Viewed 93 times
P1250002a.JPG
depth of field adjusted closeup
P1250002a.JPG (147.78 KiB) Viewed 93 times
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned." -Richard Feynman

The following users would like to thank evenwind for this post
Shadowtski

nimbulan

Re: Fun with Depth-of-Field

by nimbulan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:33 am

The technique is called focus stacking. It's quite necessary for a lot of macro work but landscape photographers are known to use it too.

I don't think it's too common to have in-camera support but I've done it with software on my computer a number of times.

evenwind

Re: Fun with Depth-of-Field

by evenwind » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:35 pm

So it's a known "thing". Cool! (I really didn't think Olympus invented it just for a point-and-shoot, but you never know.) Thanks for the info.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned." -Richard Feynman

Return to Photographic Technique