FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions and share knowledge about cameras and photographic technique

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
There was time, many decades ago, when I could be found walking thru the woods with a Nikon FTn and a shoulder-mounted, manual, 400mm f8 lens, looking for birds to annoy. I'd like to think that I knew a bit about photography back then, especially about the shutter speed/f-stop/depth-of-field compromise. These days, if I'm not taking pics of the family, I'm taking pics of my plants. And I'm using a "simple" point-and-shoot camera. I've been wasting a lot of virtual film trying to get whole flowers in focus in Macro mode. I was recently looking thru my camera (Olympus TG-4) manual for I forget what and came across a pretty neat feature. You can set it in a version of Macro mode that automatically takes multiple pics at slightly different focal points and then "magically" combines them into one pic with what amounts to a deep depth-of-field. You wind up with two pics - the original and the processed one. I kinda wish that I'd bothered to read about this feature when I first got the camera but reading the manual is for losers, right? And there are probably other point-and-shoots out there with something similar - maybe it's even a common feature? Anyhow, RTFM!
Attachments:
finished, adjusted, product
finished, adjusted, product
P1250002.JPG (86.29 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
un-adjusted "normal" depth-of-field
un-adjusted "normal" depth-of-field
P1250001a.JPG (119.66 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
depth of field adjusted closeup
depth of field adjusted closeup
P1250002a.JPG (147.78 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
evenwind, evenwind liked this
By nimbulan
The technique is called focus stacking. It's quite necessary for a lot of macro work but landscape photographers are known to use it too.

I don't think it's too common to have in-camera support but I've done it with software on my computer a number of times.
By evenwind
So it's a known "thing". Cool! (I really didn't think Olympus invented it just for a point-and-shoot, but you never know.) Thanks for the info.

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!