FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Ftang_5
So hi I'm Ftang.5 and I'm new my grow list isn't colossal but not tiny I'm half new to the hobby and I grow all my plants outside (normal humidity where I live is average 90%) in bright shade due to lack of space but I'll get a greenhouse soon but I need to either build it or find it cheap enough. I'm based in fnq Australia.

So here are my questions:

1 what is this nepenthes? The tag said veitchii x maxima but my grower wasn't sure. Image

Next why did my d.indica die it wasn't standing in water yet it still died. it's corpse it covered in fungus.

Next why is my n.rafflesiana not pitchering? It's made significant leaf jumps and it's had a pitcher half formed on it for 3 months now why?.Image

Finnaly what is this beautiful sarracenia hybrid?

Also where can I buy nepenthes online for decent prices that ship to Queensland Australia I'm tired of the search for lowii jamban and jaquilinea.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
What type of media are you growing your Drosera indica (R.I.P.) in?

It looks like regular potting soil, is it? The seedlings growing in your pot look like the stuff that pops up in my potting soil filled flower pots.

I've had the best luck growing Drosera indica complex plants in a peatmoss/perlite mix or a peatmoss/silica sand mix.

I germinate the seeds in a 1:1 mix.
When they germinate and are about 1 - 2 inches tall, I put them in a mix with 2 or 3 parts perlite or silica sand to each part peatmoss.

I stand the pots in a tray of distilled water but only keep 1/4 inch of water depth.

I use pots at least 4 inches square and 5 inches deep.

I've noticed mine got unhappy if the temperature drops below 70 degrees.

Better luck with your next attempt.
By Ftang_5
Shadowtski wrote:What type of media are you growing your Drosera indica (R.I.P.) in?

It looks like regular potting soil, is it? The seedlings growing in your pot look like the stuff that pops up in my potting soil filled flower pots.

I've had the best luck growing Drosera indica complex plants in a peatmoss/perlite mix or a peatmoss/silica sand mix.

I germinate the seeds in a 1:1 mix.
When they germinate and are about 1 - 2 inches tall, I put them in a mix with 2 or 3 parts perlite or silica sand to each part peatmoss.

I stand the pots in a tray of distilled water but only keep 1/4 inch of water depth.

I use pots at least 4 inches square and 5 inches deep.

I've noticed mine got unhappy if the temperature drops below 70 degrees.

Better luck with your next attempt.
it was growing in peat/perlite/sand mix.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

I know it's gonna be a blast!!! Wish I could come[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!