FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Mpott302
The leaves that started growing after the repot haven’t shown much progress over the past couple weeks. I’m wondering if I should take a cutting of the top 3 leaves and hope that will take root. Maybe I’m being impatient and need to give it more time. It’s only been 6 weeks. Anyway here are some pics of how it looks now. After uploading them I realize they’re not the best angles but it’s what I have for now

My main concern about taking a cutting from it is the leaves are so close together, it wouldn’t leave me with much of a stem to plant so it wouldn’t be very sturdy
By Nepotolous
You don't have to cut it up top. This is what I would've done... cut at the red line. Put some rooting hormone on the cut and dab some cinnamon on top of that. Cut the leaves at the green lines. Place the whole cutting up to the blue line into your preferred medium and voilà. Oh and add some humidity to that of course... worked wonders for me thus far

With that said, I personally think it's best to leave it as it is now. It'll grow bigger new leaves :)
20190131_085414.jpeg
20190131_085414.jpeg (120.57 KiB) Viewed 2958 times
Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Nepotolous liked this
By Mpott302
Thanks Nepotolous. Maybe I’ll give it some more time and if I’m not seeing better growth I’ll cut it like you said. Also, what’s the cinnamon do?
By Nepotolous
No problemo. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this could chime in. But from what I've heard and read, cinnamon has antifungal properties. So it might keep the fungi at bay. At least for a little while longer. Which means the cutting has more time to root-toot-toot!

By charlie
If you haven't already taken a cutting, I'd wait a little while. Nepenthes typically take a few months to settle in after repotting. Your new growth looks very healthy, and I'm sure if you leave it alone it will do well!

If you've already taken a cutting good luck! That Nepenthes is very vigorous and easy to root, although I've never heard of using cinnamon on a cutting...

-Charlie
By Mpott302
Nepotolous wrote:You don't have to cut it up top. This is what I would've done... cut at the red line. Put some rooting hormone on the cut and dab some cinnamon on top of that. Cut the leaves at the green lines. Place the whole cutting up to the blue line into your preferred medium and voilà. Oh and add some humidity to that of course... worked wonders for me thus far

With that said, I personally think it's best to leave it as it is now. It'll grow bigger new leaves :)
20190131_085414.jpeg
Took your suggestion today

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!