FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Nepotolous
Most of them are still quite young yes. I like watching them grow through their stages. At the very least my N. maxima is in flower. Got most of mine from Plantae, some from Peter Hewitt and a few from some other sellers.

Ahh that's bad. Losing children as parents. I wonder if they'd be able to send me neps to Cape Town. Then again I still have a few other sellers' nurseries I need to visit

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
By Bradley_D
I haven’t ordered any plants online yet but between pans, cultivo and plantae, they don’t seem to have much in stock that excites me. The only nurseries I’ve visited are Stephward and JT Predators in Bellair ( which is the closest to me) both of which don’t have the largest or most interesting varieties. Stephward says they have a Nepenthes Bloody Mary, but the trip is heavy on petrol.
Hopefully once I’ve visited Orchids and Exotics I’ll see some nice stuff and I can ask if they ship countrywide. I’ll probably only go at the end of Feb though.

My Alata or Ventrata (not sure which probably ventrata) is starting to flower too. It seems to be female.
08AED241-6420-42F6-94E7-1A49072D99EC.jpeg
08AED241-6420-42F6-94E7-1A49072D99EC.jpeg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1848 times
Excuse the dark photo. It was night and the flash caused so much glare.

Do you know of any other suppliers that would deliver to KZN? I’m looking for something exciting like N. Edwardsiana, Truncata or Ampularia.
By Nepotolous
Have you asked Plantae to give you their nep list yet? BE neps. And they ship countrywide. Pans website is a bit behind. But I've been to Peter's GH and that's where the gems are...
There's a few private growers I know of which might supply to KZN. I'll ask around for you.

Nice flower! Although I've read some posts on them being sterile. Here's a photo of my N. maxima's flower Image
20190124_190221.jpeg
20190124_190221.jpeg (31.18 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
By Bradley_D
I haven’t only looked at all the stock they display online. I haven’t asked anyone for their lists as such. Is Peter in Capetown?
What is
BE neps
?

Nice to see your flower opening at the top :)

I can’t wait for my Sarracenias to flower, I only have three but two are doing so well. And with my sundews flowering and now my Nep, I want my Sarrs to as well. I’ve never seen any cp flowers in real life until now and only in my own collection
By Nepotolous
Email them and ask for one. BE neps are Borneo Exotics neps. Which they import and keep in their GH for a while. Then they make them available for purchase. Peter's in Cape Town yes.

CP flowers rock! What's wrong with the other sarr if only 2 are doing well? And here's an update on my flower (the other was an old pic) and a bear claw flower for funzies
20190121_201108.jpeg
20190121_201108.jpeg (36.01 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
20190130_101920.jpeg
20190130_101920.jpeg (34.4 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
By Bradley_D
Cool, I’ve sent out some emails. Thanks

My other Sarracenia I rescued from my in-laws. They didn’t have any place to put it that their dog wouldn’t get to it so it sat under a dim awning. Growth was very slow and pitchers were slowly going brown quicker than new once’s we’re forming. It’s also very young so I suspect far from flowering.
Since I took it over, I repotted it and put it in the sun with my other two Sarrs. Now it’s getting new growths frequently. I count at least 8 new pitchers coming up, some nearly ready to open. And no other pitchers have died so I must be doing something right.
It’s still unidentified unfortunately, someone on this forum thins it might be S. Oreophila, but says it it’s too young to positively identify.
My other two Sarracenias are x Eva and purpurea ssp venosa. Their rhizomes are getting quite full and thick.
I also rescued a Drosera capensis alba for them which was dying fast, got down to four tiny leaves before I took it. It sill has three of those leaves but many new ones are growing so I’m confident it’ll be fine.
Lastly I rescued what looks like s Sarracenia purperea ssp purpurea. That one has lost two of its pitchers and hasn’t fully formed new ones yet. The rhizome still looks healthy buts it’s struggling with new growth. The pitchers are coming out flat actually whereas my venosa look thick from the moment I spot them growing.

The flowers on your Nep certainly look much nicer in real life than I’ve seen during internet searches. I hope mine look as nice.
My favourite so far is definitely between my Drosera Spatulata and my Pigmy Drosera Pulchella.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!